Chapter Fifty Five

Caleb ~

Caleb looked down at Lainey as he threw her duffle bag over his shoulder. An entire week in Texas on his family's ranch was just what he and Lainey needed to unwind to recover from the insanity and heartbreak that had surrounded them.

He watched her eyes roam from the stables to the pens, then over to to main house with a large wrap around porch that held a few rocking chairs.

Home.

The smile on her face made Caleb want to freeze time and capture that look of contentment somehow. She looked relaxed and content as if she belonged there - and she did.

"Your house is beautiful." Lainey said softly.

"Not as beautiful as you." Caleb replied with a wink.

His cheesy line sent a smile across Lainey's face as she crinkled her nose at him and shook her head.

"What a line - I bet you use that on all the girls you've brought here." Lainey joked, playfully tossing an elbow in his direction as he walked with her bag.

"I've never brought a girl here before." he said honestly, causing Lainey to stop her forward motion.

"Oh come on. Really? Never?" she asked, still unconvinced.

"Never. This is my home Lainey. I bring family here." He said, kissing her on the top of the head as they approached the large porch and walked up the steps together.

Opening the screen door first, Caleb reached for the knob of the front door, but it opened before he could grasp it.

"Hey Pop." Caleb said with a smile on his face as his dad pulled him in for a hug. He squeezed Caleb hard, holding him firmly in place for a second or two before giving him a few hard slaps on the back and pulling away.

"Good to see you son, but I came out here to see about a girl." Caleb's dad beamed with pride as he moved Caleb out of the way so he could get a good look at Lainey.

The expression on Caleb's dads face went from bright and proud to shocked as he let out a gust of air and pulled his hat from his head quickly, clutching it at his chest.

What the hell Pop?

Lainey picked up on the sudden change in demeanor, but didn't miss a beat. She maintained her warm smile and extended her hand out toward him.

"Lainey Flores, thank you for having me out to your beautiful home Mr. Tanner, Caleb has told me so much about you." she said with the voice of an angel.

Caleb shot a confused and angry look over at his dad who seemed to be shell shocked, gawking at Lainey. Luckily his Pop regained is composure quickly, clearing his throat and replacing his hat on his head as he shook Lainey's hand.

"Please, call me Wade. Mr. Tanner makes me feel like I'm a hundred years old." he chuckled.

"And this boy right here hasn't been able to shut up about you for months." Wade said as he moved in to give Lainey a hug that she gladly accepted.

That's more like it.

"He's exaggerating." Caleb said with a smirk as he lied through is teeth.

"Well get in here you two, figured you'd want to sleep in the guest bedroom since the beds bigger instead of your room." Wade said, giving Caleb a not so subtle look as he raised his eye brows.

Jesus Pop.

"Thanks." Caleb said as he rolled his eyes and gave Lainey a playful smile that she returned instantly. In fact Lainey hadn't stopped smiling since they'd gotten there despite his dad's strange behavior at the door. She was taking in everything around her and seemed to be at peace and happy.