Twenty minutes later I migrated to the backyard where very few people are mingling. I texted Charlie and he said the guys I promised to drive home are almost ready to leave so I'm just biding my time away from the chaos.

I hear the sliding door open and close behind me, footfalls tapping on the deck approaching me. I've learned not to assume so I don't react until they speak first.

"All alone like usual Vitali?" a slurred boyish voice asks as he sits beside me. I clench my hands in my lap as irrational anger boils inside me.

"What do you want Lucas?" I sigh, releasing my fingers from my own vice grip. He isn't worth the stress. Tonight was supposed to be my break from school work, a way to unwind even if I grew to hate these parties.

He pats my shoulder, a mixed wave of putrid cologne and alcohol invades my senses. I grimace as he runs his mouth, "Touchy touchy, someone has a stick up his ass. And what happened to calling me Sawyer? Everyone else does. You used to."

Disappointment bubbles deep in my stomach as I think back on when we met. The first couple weeks of freshman year I was tight with all of Canardi's football team. Even though my football career ended in high school, they still respected me. I was friends with most of them. Lucas was a player and too cocky for his own good but so was everyone else on the team. Everything changed when he got with Olivia Brennan and continued to mess with jersey chasers behind her back. Lying to her about monogamy and love. It's sickening.

I take a deep breath, "What. Do you want. Lucas?" I space out the words, talking slow so his drunk mind can understand.

"Fuck man. Why're you so pissy?" He chuckles downing another shot of tequila. "Listen, you know that brunette on the Volleyball team? The one with the fat ass? She gives amazing head. You should try her out. She told me she was going to be looking for you next," He whispers, offering me the half empty bottle of booze.

I shove the bottle into his chest, standing up to look down on him. "Aren't you still with Olivia?"

He blinks up at me, his eyes wandering my face with confusion, "Yes? Why? Don't tell me you're one of those pansy assholes that's going to accuse me of cheating. I didn't fuck her."

I grind my teeth, my jaw working side to side. I have to calm down before I throw my fist through his face. My knee is already destroyed, I can't do that to my hand as well. Plus it's not really any of my business, is it?

"Whatever. Can you go back inside?" I grunt, tipping my chin towards the back door.

Lucas studies my body language, deciding for himself that I'm not joking. At least his inebriated mind still knows when to back down from a fight he can't win. He stands on unsteady feet, rolling his eyes like a child.

"I liked you Vitali. I expected more," he hiccups, yelling and raising his hands once he's back inside, everyone returning the same energy back to him.

I sit, massaging my sore jaw with my fingers. I really need to work on clenching it when I'm mad. Keeps me from getting physical but it can't be good for my teeth.

Just as I start to calm the sliding door screeches again as another person steps out into the warm summer air. Don't assume. Lucas wouldn't come back. He's not that dumb.

A light hand slips onto my shoulder, drawing my attention upward to see who it belongs to.

"Hi, Rowan. I've been lookin for you," the girl says, yearning and expectation blooming in her eyes.