Chapter 2

Me and Emery stand at the entrance of the camp, a big new wooden sign with the words- Rising Up Riding Camp- engraved into it. Hoards of other girls and boys enter, and so do me and Emery, after a satisfying goodbye to dad. A fuzzy feeling takes over my body, more aware of everything around me. The air smells sweet, with wilderness. I also smell the classic horse droppings and the smell of "horse". I hear voices and laughter, and vaguely horses in their stalls. I clutch onto my bag and walk forward.

All the kids, are surrounded in a circle and we join them. When I see what's being surrounded, I step back out of surprise.
'Erin Darcy.' I gasp to myself.
She looks so casual, about her being herself. Not like other celebrities. She wears shorts and a Rising Up camp T-shirt, with a red sweater tied around her waist. Her sleek auburn hair is pulled into a long ponytail and she has a cap on. I watch with awe.

Me and Emery nudge each other.
'Hello, campers!' Erin projects.
It takes a lot to keep myself from clapping at just the sight of her, like at competitions.
'Hello!' A chorus rings in my ears. It seems like a privilege to even wave to her.
'Welcome to camp..' Erin trails off. Her trainer, Laura May Hall nods her on, as if they'd prepared a speech earlier. She smiles gratefully at Laura May and goes on.
'I've put a lot of work into this camp, and I hope you enjoy learning how to jump and coming to this camp and spending time with new people!'

'Alright!' Carrie takes over the show, making Erin seem less nervous. 'You'll be sorted into three groups based on your skill in riding. Beginners with Laura May, intermediate with Erin, and expert with me. We've evaluated you all into groups based on the messages from your riding coach or trainer. Erin would you like to read the list?'

'Sure! Okay.. let's begin..' I feel my stomach churn, what do they mean by expert. And beginner. Would what I think is amazing accomplishments, simply be learning how to get past the beginner stage in their eyes? I sure hope not; I don't know if I could bear the humiliation.
'In beginner we have; Madge Adams, Stacey Anderson, Brady....'
When would it get to my turn..?
'- Luna Williams, Sandy Yang..'
I suck in my breath with relief. I'm not beginner. Even intermediate would be something. I wait for my name to be called, I zone back in when they get to the T's.
'Rita Thomas, Gordon Teir, Maggie Thorne-'
I summon up the courage to give her a little wave at my name. Surprisingly, she notices.

'Hey, have I met you before?' She asks.
She remembers!? After meeting all the extraordinary people in the world; she remembers me!?
'Uh.. yeah. I think a few years back.' I shuffle side to side.
'Yeah, in New Brunswick, right. You were like my first fan to say hi. It's cool that you're here.' She says.

My stomach drops. Not with grief, but extreme happiness. Her first fan! Me, Maggie Thorne. Even in that brief interaction I feel like a Queen. I feel like jumping up and down and giggling with glee, but obviously I don't. I'm not hoping to ruin the moment entirely. My mouth doesn't seem able to form words so I smile wholeheartedly and then, stupidly offer a big thumbs up.

Great crackhead. I tell myself. You just made a total flunk out of yourself in front of Erin Darcy! Look what you've done now. You should hide yourself!

I can barely look up, when I notice Erin has a outstretched thumbs up and a grin on her face. I blush, not sure if I'm feeling happy, embarrassed or..

As she continues going down the list, I realize that she'd be my leader too! Not Laura May, not Carrie- Erin! This seemed like my perfect day. And nothing was going to bring it down- that was already proved by Erin.

Suddenly, my thoughts are disturbed by the tug of my arm.
'Cmon, let's go.' Its Emery.
Maybe we were going to find our cabins now.
We follow a big strip of girls behind Erin, which takes us to the cabin we're designated in.
We walk ahead.