Bouns 1: wonderland - Newtmas

Third person

The maze had always been a quiet place at night, the only noise you could hear was the maze changing and the screaming, screeching of the Grivers. The Gladers would all be asleep, some tossing and turning others still as a statue.

There was only one who would be awake and that was Newt, he had never been able to sleep for long. Something would be running through his mind making him overthink it, or it would be to do with his leg. The only time his leg kept him up was when it was in immense pain. When that happened he had to walk laps around the Glade, trying to make the pain stop. Taking his mind off it with something else, but he didn't have anything, so he walked and walked and walked.

Newt walked so much he thought. No, he knew the soles of his feet had bruises. Newt was never one to put himself first, so before the runners, Minho and Thomas currently, woke up at the crack of dawn to run the maze he'd go back to bed. Make it as though nothing had happened, making it as though he was fine.

The runners would run the same pattern over and over again. Memorising every crack in the walls, every ivy vine that hung down on the 300ft walls, every blade that stood tall, everything and anything possible recording it, putting it in the runners hut, that was located in the Homestead near the Deadheads.

This was a repeat pattern every day. Day in and day out, that was until Thomas decided he would take it upon himself to run the maze at night. See if he could find anything new, anything different. Different to the day time. See if he could follow the Grivers to there hideout throughout the night. Thomas would stand there watching the walls, seeing if when they change something about them would change, but nothing, Absolutely nothing.

That was until there was something. Thomas had seen something, something new. He felt exited. Maybe he and the others could get out, finally. He followed his lead, which was most likely the worst decision of his life. He knew he should of come out with back up and in the day just in case something went horribly wrong, which it did.

Thomas should make his way to the doors before he bleeds out, but he didn't want the 'I told you' or the 'that's your own fault for going out at night you shank' and we can't forget Newts 'Bloody hell Thomas, your an absolute idiot. Did you know that?' He didn't want those so he kept running, every step he took he could feel himself getting weaker, more fatigue but none the less he kept on running through the pain.

Thomas had ran till his legs gave out. He was near the entrance but not right in front of it, just around the corner. Currently, he was resting his body as it wouldn't cooperate with his brain. They both wanted different things, his body wanted to rest whereas his brain wanted him to run. Run to the entrance, escape the grasp of the Grivers. His eyes felt heavy, only now was Thomas realising that this was a stupid idea. That this was going to be his death bed. In a maze, alone at the hands of WCKD.

No, he didn't want to die like this, he didn't want to die at the hands of WCKD. So, Thomas forced himself to get up. Adrenaline suddenly pumping through his blood stream. Thomas was going to get out this alive. The maze doors would be open by now as the sun was rising, which means the Grivers, well most of them other than the day Grivers, would be back in there hideouts.

Thomas could still run so he did, it's not like his legs were broken. He could see a Griver crawling to him, it wasn't like a baby's crawl, no it was much faster and very scattered.  Thomas knew if he wanted to make it out alive he'd have to run faster, quicker. He knew as soon as he rounded that corner, the one which lead to the final leg to the glade, the Griver would stop coming after him. It was like an unspoken rule between all Grivers, they wouldn't pass that corner.

Thomas had made it, he made it back to the Glade and before the other runners had set off as well. Today was full of surprises first escaping a Grivers grasp and now making it back before runners had set off, what's next? He wondered but also didn't want to know. All Thomas wanted to do right now was sleep and not think about what had happened in the Maze last night.