Ch. 44 - A Drunken Night

Start from the beginning

"Actually, I'm taking my mom and the heathen, Ali, out for dinner tomorrow since my dad is in Shanghai for a business trip and it's my mom's first Valentine's day without him home in a long time so." I was answering them but was completely distracted by something funny Ave just said about her trip to the furniture store with her dad.

"Have your guys' parents talked about you two, or just in general at all?"

"No, but Harvey Lodge did make me nearly run outside their house during our first encounter when he was talking to me on the balcony after dinner." I shuttered at the memory how terrified I was to make a good first impression with her dad even though I've met him a dozen times when I was younger.

"What did he say to you?"

"Surprisingly nothing other than asking me about my parents and to let them know that he sends his best regards. And that they should have dinner sometime soon." I have replayed that night back and forth in my head a million times, trying to see if I fucked up and said something stupid. "All he said about me and Avery was to take care of her."

"I mean, what parents wouldn't adore you? You're a Vanderbuilt who is the precious prince of the Monrova empire." Charles re-adjusted himself on the couch before pouring himself another glass of vodka.

"I don't think that carries any weight to Harvey Lodge, who is seriously an old and experienced tiger in his own rights. Plus, the fact that he's a New Yorker just makes him a ruthless, brilliant businessman." I hated to admit it, but I was a tad bit unease that my title and background really didn't help me out at all in Harvey Lodge's opinion and perception of who I am or whether I'd be good for his daughter.

"I'm sure he will adore you, Jay." Cameron kicked my leg playfully.

"I would sure fucking hope so because I don't want to fuck this up." I groaned. "That girl, that wonderfully perfect girl, means everything."

"Oh no here we go again. Soft Jace is back out to play." Harry wrinkled his face in disgust as he always did whenever I went soft Jace about Avery.

But I didn't care. It was true. Avery was the one and there was no way in hell I was going to do anything stupid to mess that up. Even if it meant having to face my fear and prove myself to Harvey Lodge.

After a few more hours of playing some video games and drinking, Cameron's driver gratefully dropped me off at home as we were all too fucked up to drive home. As soon as I got home, I knew it was too late for anyone to be awake so I was scared shitless when I saw Mary sitting in our second living room watching TV and sobbing, actual full-out sobbing.

I wasn't going to be a dick and ignore her when I clearly saw that she was upset. But I was also fucking exhausted and drunk out of my mind.

"Why are you sitting here crying at 2 AM?"

"Oh, Jace! Sorry, I was just watching movies out here because I didn't want to disturb my mom." She quickly wiped her eyes with her sleeves. "It's not what it seems, I swear."

"Well, that's great to hear. I'm going to head to bed. Don't stay up too late." I murmured and feeling my body giving up on me. "Goodnight, Mary."

"Jace, before you go." She caught my arm before I got to the stairs. "Can I ask you something?"

Damn it. Damn it.

"Sure." I didn't look back but I removed my arm from her hand quicker than my brain could think right now. "But, Mary, I'm really not in the best state to talk right now."

"Do you love her?" She asked and filled the silence of the room. "Avery. Do you really love her?"

I didn't have to think about it as I answered, "As fucking cheesy as it sounds, I think I was born to love her and there will never be anyone else for me."

Mary didn't say anything other than nodding her head as her lips pursed together while staring at me with unreadable eyes, but it was probably because I was about to pass out.

"Goodnight, Jace. Drink water before you go to bed." She smiled but even drunk me could tell that it was hiding some sad emotions she wasn't comfortable with sharing. But I was too drunk to push it, so I headed upstairs to bed.

I couldn't help it as I got into bed and under my blanket after somewhat getting ready for bed and activating my sleep mode in my room, I called Avery, not expecting her to pick up.

But she did.

"Ma'am, it is 5 AM in New York, you should not be awake let alone answer the call." I didn't even sound like a coherent human being at this point. But I could care less.

"Sir, what if you were dying?" She said sheepily. I could tell she was coming out of deep sleep. Well, no shit, Jace, it was 5 AM there.

I fucking adored Avery's sleepy voice that I had to be selfish for a minute.

"Ma'am, the only reason I'd be dying is from being deprived of your presence in California." I chuckled. "You silly girl. I love you."

She was quiet for a moment.

Did I say something wrong? Fuck.

"Jace, did you just say the L word?" She was still groggy, but I was sure as hell utterly alert now. Holy fuck. I really did just say the goddamn words.

And I had no regrets whatsoever.

"Yes, Avery Grace, I fucking love you and all your quirky little habits. I love that you're warm, that you laugh at everything, and find beauty in almost every ordinary thing, including me. I love that you see the best in people and always find ways to make the best out of every situation. Every day, I wake up and want to find new ways to love you, Avery Grace Lodge, and I really truly cannot imagine a day where I won't. So yes, I fucking love you, you silly girl.

And that was the last thing I remembered.