ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟜𝟛

There was a certain feeling of fear that coursed through his veins.

It wasn't anything like seeing his parents. Rather, it was more like you forgot to do your homework that's worth more points than it should be and you were drenched in ice water.

Mamoru instinctively lowered his gaze, feeling his shoulders shrink on themselves. Akashi was several inches shorter than him, but his gaze made him much more terrifying than he really was.

Akashi chuckled, titling his head. "What a coincidence."

"Who are you?" Nishinoya demanded, sizing him up.

Mamoru flinched, but Akashi only smiled. Quickly, Mamoru answered for Akashi, regardless of the consequences he may face. "He's a friend, Noya-senpai. Could you go ahead without me?"

Sugawara gave him a concerned look, not believing the "he's a friend" explanation. Mamoru handed Asahi's jacket back, feeling more exposed.

Reluctantly, the team moved ahead, though some gave worried looks behind them. Akashi didn't speak until it was the two of them in the hallway.

A hand landed on his head and he winced. "Look at me, Mamoru."

Mamoru lifted his gaze, feeling unusually small. The red-head smiled, a genuine affectionate smile. "It's good to see you again."

"...You as well."

Akashi lifted his hand off Mamoru's head after a quick ruffle, like how a father would do to their children. He gathered his courage and asked him, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here on business," Akashi answered simply. He crossed his arms, looking at ease despite the new environment. "I suppose you haven't heard of our plan?"

"No."

Akashi smiled, a dangerous kind of smile. "I see. I'll put it simply. All of us with the exception of you and Tetsuya have chosen a powerschool of our choice. I chose Rakuzan; Daiki, Touou; Ryouta, Kaijo; Murasakibara, Yosen. However, I am unaware of Tetsuya's choice."

His gaze flickered to Mamoru's track jacket, unwavering. "Tell me, why Karasuno? For someone who's a basketball prodigy, you chose a fallen volleyball powerhouse."

Mamoru gritted his teeth together. "I am not a prodigy. I chose Karasuno because I wanted to change."

"Change? It's been several weeks and I don't see too much of a change in you," Akashi hummed. "You, of all people, seldom change. Your family in America scarred you far too much."

His chest clenched and his throat tightened. "You...you looked-"

"Into your past?" Akashi looked amused, though there was a trace of sympathy in his cruel gaze. "Mamoru, I care for you like a brother. If you couldn't tell me what was wrong, I'd look it up myself."

The audacity of Akashi, to research his past without verbally asking for permission. How could he just dig up information like that? He felt like a clam being pried open to reveal his secrets.

His hands clenched into his palm tightly, but he could hardly feel the crescent marks being dug into his skin.

"You won't have to worry though," Akashi mused, not at all sorry for his research. "I made sure the news wouldn't spread."

"What do you want from me?" Mamoru asked, feeling as though Akashi was implying something.

"Do your best." He smiled ominous and placed a hand on his shoulder. Akashi tilted his head. "And you should be honored I consider you family. Call me Seijuro. Let's keep in touch, Mamoru."