Chapter 13

Christmas 1961

The weeks went slowly for Jackie. The Inauguration and State Visit to Europe seemed like a life time ago. She was sitting in her room at Camp David wrapping the children’s presents and Jack’s new jumper.

She still tired really easily and her body still ached in places, especially where she had a scar from the operation. She was deep in thought as she wrote a name tag that she didn’t notice George come in. “Hi, Jackie.”

She looked up. “Hi.”

“How are you feeling?”

“Still tired but the painkillers are making the pain go away, but I feel really depressed. Nothing seems to make me happy.”

He nodded and sat down on the bed. “I’ll have a look at your medication.”

She pulled herself up slowly using the poster of the bed. “I have something for you.” She opened a drawer and handed him a black box. “That’s the ring I designed for you and this is your Christmas present.”

He looked stunned. “Jackie… how much do I owe you?”

She shook her head. “Nothing, I will always be in debt to what you’ve done for me this year.”

He felt tears in his eyes. “Jackie, thank you.” He hugged her gently. She smiled. “I hope you have a nice Christmas.”

“You too.”

After George left, Jackie sat down on her bed. She closed her eyes and sighed. She felt like her whole body was giving up on her. She wanted to shut herself of from everyone but she knew Jack would never let that happen.

Monday 25th December

Palm Beach

Jackie was nervous as she approached the main house. Apart from Bobby and Joan none of the family knew about her cancer. Jack had just said she’d been suffering migraines from the caesarian.

“Now if you need a break you know what we discussed.” Jack whispered as his hand slipped into hers. She nodded and followed him inside. She really hoped no one noticed her weight loss or the tiredness in her eyes.

When they walked into the sitting room everyone fell silent. Their eyes landed on Jackie.  She tried to smile. “Jackie….” Ethel exclaimed. “You… you look…awful...”

Jackie moved closer to Jack. He put an arm around her while Bobby stood up. “That is horrible, Ethel.” He snapped. Ethel was stunned and she shut up.

Jack helped his wife sit down before turning to face his family. “This year hasn’t been easy for us, especially Jackie. She’s been battling cancer.”

Jackie looked away at that moment with tears stinging her eyes. “Jackie didn’t want anyone to know but I hope you all understand that.”

Ted sat forward. “Is… is she okay?”

“Well she underwent chemotherapy and a few weeks ago she had the tumor removed. We won’t know if she’s cancer free till a test in the New Year.”

The family was stunned and didn’t know what to say. “Do Janet and Lee know?” Ted asked.

“Jackie told Lee on the phone and Lee told Janet but she didn’t want to see them.”

After dinner Jackie disappeared out into the sunset. She walked silently along the beach on her own. She needed to clear her head. She welled up at the thought she might have been dead if she hadn’t got tests done in Paris.

She was watching the waves when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She was surprised to find Teddy. “I’m always here for you, Jackie.” He said hugging her. Jackie smiled weakly before beginning to cry.