Chapter 12

A Week Later

After a week in hospital Jackie was back home at Camp David. Without the chemotherapy Jackie wasn’t as tired but she felt weak still.

Jackie was sitting on the sofa watching the TV when Jack came in with the children. “Mummy!” Caroline exclaimed jumping up beside her.

“Take it easy, Buttons.” Jack warned.

She nodded and cuddled into Jackie’s arm. “I love you, Mummy.” She smiled. Jack sat down holding John in his arms. “Look how much Sam’s grown in the last few months.”

Jackie smiled and stroked her sons head. “John.” She whispered.

Jack smiled. They were sitting chatting when George came in. Nanny Shaw took the children out.

“How are you feeling, Jackie?” George asked sitting down.

“Not as tired.”

He smiled. “Don’t worry in the weeks before the test just take it easy and stay indoors.”

She nodded. “When do you think I should tell the press?”

“That is up to yourself; maybe if you tell them after you can share your experience and promote awareness.”

Jackie sat up. “Okay.”

After George went away Jackie cuddled into Jack. Her mood was low, which was normal after treatment but she just felt it would be a long recovery.

Jack kissed her softly. They were close together when Bobby walked in. “Jack, would you care to tell me what’s wrong with Jackie? There’s a rumor going about that she is pregnant.”

Jackie looked up. “I’m not pregnant Bobby; I’ve just been treated for cancer.”

Bobby’s eyes widened. “What?”

Jackie explained everything. Bobby listened in shock. “So, are you clear?” Bobby asked.

“I don’t know, I won’t know until a few weeks after a test.”

“Jack, you could have told me. I could have helped you.” He said softly. “I feel like I haven’t been there for you both.”

Jackie got up and hugged him. “I didn’t want people to know.”

He nodded and held his sister in law’s hand. “I’m glad you’re okay.”

She smiled and sat close to Jack again. She was close to tears. She had never been more emotional in her life but she just hoped this was a turning point for her.