Chapter 10

After four weeks of being moved to Camp David, George asked to talk to the First couple. Jack arrived on Friday morning and joined Jackie in their room. She was exhausted.

Jack lay down next to her and kissed her passionately. “Jack…” She whimpered. He smiled and wrapped his arms around her. “How are you feeling, Kid?”

“Sore.”

He ruffled her hair. She blushed and closed her eyes. Their moment was interrupted by George. “Morning.”

“Morning.” Jack said blushing as someone found them being intimate. Jackie groaned as she sat up. Her head was spinning.

George sat down and looked at them both. “Well, the chemotherapy has been working and the tumor is shrinking but it’s now time to remove it.”

Jackie’s eyes widened in fear. “When?”

“Well, to keep it a secret we can arrange to have the operation at the military hospital down the road next week and you can recover here.”

She nodded. “How long will it take to recover after the operation?” Jackie asked weakly. She wanted to cry.

“Anything up to a year.”

Jackie began to sob. “Some First Lady I’ll be, the one who only started work in 1963.” She mumbled.

Jack rubbed her arm. “We’ll get through this Kid.”

She nodded timidly. She was nervous.

That afternoon Jackie was asleep; Jack was in his study taking some time to his self. He was startled when Pierre came in. “Mr. President, can we talk?”

Jack nodded. “Close the door and sit down.”

Jack looked at Pierre; he wasn’t sure why his press secretary was here. “Sir, you seem to be disappearing an awful lot and I see you come here a lot.”

Jack sighed. “It’s none of your business.”

“Mr. President, the First Lady hasn’t been seen in four months. She has to attend the next state dinner.”

“God damn it Pierre!” He yelled standing up. “Jackie will not be at the state dinner! She will also not be at the State of the Union or any foreign trips until at least 1963!”

Pierre shrunk back. “Sir… why?”

Jack sighed and fell into his seat. “Jackie, is being treated for cancer, it will take a while before she is back to full health. I’d appreciate it if you just left her alone.”

Pierre nodded. “Yes, Sir.” He was stunned. He quickly left. Jack broke down into tears. He wished people left them alone.