Chapter 7

Newport, RI

9pm

Jackie had gone back to bed and was snoring softly. George had just closed the door to her room and went downstairs to make some dinner for himself. He was about to switch the oven on when the phone rang. Since no one else was about he lifted the receiver. “Hello?”

Jack was slightly stunned as he heard a male voice. “Can I speak to my wife, Jacqueline, please?”

“Mr. President I was hoping to speak with you-” He was suddenly cut off by Jack. “Who are you? Why are you answering my wife’s phone?”

“I’m George Hunter, Sir.” He said. “I’m your wife’s cancer nurse.”

“What? Is this some kind of wind up?!” Jack replied angrily down the phone. His eyes were narrowing in annoyance.

“Mr. President, please calm down. I’m guessing Jackie didn’t tell you. I’d guessed she hadn’t.” He said softly.

“Jackie hasn’t told me what?”

“That she’s been diagnosed with cancer…” He replied.

Jack’s end of the phone went dead; he dropped the receiver and stared into space. “Mr. President?”

It took him a few minutes to hold back the emotion which wanted to pour out of him at that very moment. “Y-yes?”

“I’m sure she could use your support. I know it’s not easy for either of you but it’s my job to help you both through this ordeal.”

“Okay George, I’ll come up tomorrow…” His voice was hoarse.

After Jack hung up he sunk to the floor sobbing. Why didn’t Jackie tell him? He felt hurt and confused.

The following morning Jack knocked on Kenny’s door before 7am. “Yeah?” Kenny called. “I’m busy.”

“Kenny, it’s me. I need to talk to you.” Jack said. His voice sounded his usual collected self.

Kenny opened the door to his boss. His shirt was crinkled and he a lipstick mark on his neck. “Yes, Mr. President?”

Jack sighed. “I’m taking today off. I’m going to Newport; I don’t want the press to know.”

Kenny nodded noticing the paleness of Jack’s face. “Sir, are you okay?” He asked slightly panting.

“I’m fine, tell Helen I said hi.” Jack replied motioning to Kenny’s office. His embarrassed chief of staff nodded and quickly went back inside.

Jack headed for Marine One and climbed aboard. He wasn’t exactly sure what he was going to say to Jackie. He slipped his wallet out and looked at the pictures of them from the photo booth when they’d been dating. He smiled before letting a tear fall.