chapter two

29 de septiembre de 1860

My mom was talking to me as we walked to the square, my guts were making a call for help and I was trying to hide it, the corset seemed to have been tied like chains to a hostage, it was not the first time I used it but I was very nervous, no, ver...

My mom was talking to me as we walked to the square, my guts were making a call for help and I was trying to hide it, the corset seemed to have been tied like chains to a hostage, it was not the first time I used it but I was very nervous, no, very nervous no, EXTREMELY nervous.

Simon's voice in my head reverberated like an unpleasant melody that for some reason is catchy. 

"Jaden, James and I will go tomorrow night, we need you" The silly phrase we need was so overwhelming, we knew since we were children that something was happening in this town, but I refused to find out.

—Mar, aren't you listening? You should know that distracting your gaze when you are being spoken to speaks very badly of you, do you want another six months in boarding school? — she threatened. To then start the most repeated topic of conversation of the year. 

—Oh, it's true! You can't go back even if you wanted to, they expelled you  for running away with that friend of yours, thank God young Jaden was there to warn us, if not your reputation would be damaged and with it the family name.

Her voice made my patience along with my concentration to breathe become more and more null, but I pretended to pay attention and understand his concern.

—I know mother, I know.- I sighed and took the opportunity to take a little air although it was not working at all. —I made a mistake, and I have told you many times that it is something that will not be repeated. —I clarified, they spent a few seconds waiting for his answer that never came since we were interrupted by Jaden's parents accompanied by the "charismatic guy "character with that name stared with a J.

My mother gave me one last look and then took a few steps to get a close look at the subjects.

—Lady and Lord Alonso, a pleasure to meet you here, are you already aware of the great celebration dance for the 16 years of Mar? It will be her debut and I am sure that Jaden would love to attend, several times he has shown great interest in the grand piano in the room, would his attendance be assured? — My mother spoke incessantly, the gentlemen listened attentively and affirmed or denied the same way, but without losing any of them the look of superiority in front of the others.

Jaden who was next to his father making noticeable the great difference in height <jaden was taller> making me feel even more intimidated, and it did not improve anything that he was fixing me with his deep black eyes that stood out for his exaggerated white skin , sometimes I used to say that he kindq looked like the cold white statues in the museum that we used to visit <forcibly> once or twice as they insisted on mating us.

Someone's thick voice made me come out of the little trance I was in, scaring me more when I heard the words that should terrify any lady my age.

—Lady Strafford, if you will allow me, could you take Mar for a short  walk? I promise that it won't take long— indicated the black-haired guy, earning a look of hatred from me that only he could notice, but at the same time i do wanted to walk for a while or I was going to faint at that very moment.

My mother's eyes lit up like sparklers when she heard the proposal so I knew I would have no escape, of course, the brute Jaden was the son of a Lord and I was the daughter of the brother of a Duke, so It was clear that we both had severe expectations on us.

The boy's hand appeared in my vision change so I grabbed it quickly and then disappeared from the scene where the parents were. Seconds later I decided to break the silence that had formed.

—You must stop seeing me that way, you are supposed to help me— I confessed as I clung to his arm due to the lack of oxygen to my lungs.

He noticed it so he stopped near a few centimeters from the source and without stopping to let go.

—First of all, hello Mar, good afternoon to you too, you also look splendid in that dress– he said in a mocking tone to which I gave him a graceless smile causing him to laugh. —Second, look at you how? — He continued speaking, giving me a look of intrigue

—Hi Jaden, I have already told you that in the afternoons you are even more unbearable than in the mornings?— I answered the first thing looking around me realizing that it was getting dark so I hoped this talk will not last much longer —and look at me like that ! as you are doing now, as if you wanted to woo me— I confessed.

—Mar, everyone in this city wants me to shorten you, they want to see us walking through the square holding hands and they want to see us at your celebration tomorrow together and announce our engagement, but just like you I am in love with another person, and for me it is so suffering as it is for you.— He told me without letting go of my hand and in a soft and hoarse voice, giving me to understand that I could trust him, but I simply couldn't.

Since I was told that he was meeting with the sons of Albares Francisco, a Frenchman who was the owner of a clandestine gambling hall and the father of 5 unbearable pale people who caused my first real fight and unforgettable punishment, it should be clarified that after they challenged us my 3 friends go in a battle against those 5 idiots we fought but unfortunately one of them hurt me one leg causing a insury and they had to call my chaperone so then my mother found out and they did not let me leave the house for 3 months and then send me to boarding school.

Would you believe that after this incident no one would speak to the French guys again, but apparently Jaden not only did not stop talking to them, but he fell in love with the youngest <and only> daughter of this gang and I did not see him in a month after I came back knowing he had gotten James and Simon into trouble and still hoped I would trust him so easily.

–Jaden I want to trust you, but you must do something for me first.— I said waiting for his answer that took a few seconds to hear.

—What thing? Anyway, I will. — he answered.

I let go of his hand and looked to where my mother was, now talking to Simon's parents.

—I had to see James and Simon tomorrow night, you know that I have extremely prohibed to share just a look with James, but I have to go. They didn't warn you but you're part of this too since the first time.- I whispered at the same time that the sunlight was almost gone.

—Mar, please be clear.— He looked at me somewhat confused, but he clearly knew what I was talking about.

—Tomorrow is my 16th birthday and everyone will be busy going to a big event, it is the perfect time to meet in the forest it has to be tomorrow.— I walked a little until I was completely away from the 2 people a few meters from us and Jaden followed me.

—What do you want me to do?—He said, already knowing the degree of the situation.

—You are a man, you can go wherever you want without having to ask, you just have to tell my mother that you want to say something to me in private and we will meet in the store near the forest, the one of my grandfather's friend, just wait for me there with the other 2 and we'll see what we'll do. —I ordered him and then I heard my mother's voice calling me.

Jaden look at me then look to my mom to then make and 'okay' with his rigth hand.

—I have to go—I warned. —Do what I ask, and I will continue to help you as you help me.— my mother came up to us so instinctively we both stood up and said goodbye in the proper way, when my mother turned around jaden whispered to me:

— Until tomorrow birthday girl, I hope that in your visions the gift that I have planned for you does not come out.

And then we just drift away from each other, not knowing that this might be the last time we see each other.