Chapter 28

2 years later

Stefan's POV

"Are you sure she is going to like this?" I ask for the hundredth time.

"Yes Stefan I am positive!" I heard Caroline say exasperatedly on the phone to me.

"Elena is all about nice and simple romance you know this! Remember nothing too big! You've got this Stefan." I heard Lexi chimes in over the phone.

"Just call us when it has happened alright! We want to know that it goes well. Good luck!" I hear Caroline and Lexi scream at me down the phone as I end the conversation.

Elena and I are away for the weekend at her parent's beach house. She told me that she loved this place as a child and I wanted to take her somewhere that was really special. Our relationship has been getting stronger and stronger over the years since our little hiccup when we first started going out. I've avoided Rebekah successfully for two years and have felt no regrets, Elena is now editor for her newspaper and is no longer doing little celebrity stories and Elena and I have never been closer this last year. What's even better is that Damon and Katherine are back together and are getting married in a few months, Bonnie and Jeremy are now living together and even Matt and Caroline are in their own world of happiness as she is a few months pregnant with their first child! Everytime I see what my friends are going through, I know for a fact that it is definitely what I can see Elena and I doing in the near future.

After the whole incident with Rebekah, I knew that I never wanted to let her go. So for the past year I have  been planning something for her to make sure that I never lose her again....I just hope that she likes it.

Elena's POV

Being away at the beach house again has brought back so many memories. I have loved this place since childhood and I have always wanted to take Stefan here since we got back together.

I'm not going to lie, it was weird at first being back together. I know that we had only been apart for a week but my trust in him completely went because of ...that incident. It has taken me up until now to fully trust him again and the feeling is like a massive chip has come off my shoulders. I am so happy that I can trust him again because we are now back to where we were, but this time only better. Stefan is a lot more attentive than he was before. He definitely learnt from what happened two years ago and it has made us a lot stronger than before.

Tonight we are planning to have dinner on the decking. It was Stefan's idea since he said that he wanted to cook for me. He knows that I love his cooking. Especially since I can't cook to save my life. So right now I am in the room that we are sharing, I've put on a nice black halter neck dress (just because we are not going to a restaurant, doesn't mean that I can't dress up) and I'm curling my hair into a natural wave. I don't do it often since it takes so long but I wanted to make the effort especially since Stefan said that he had something important to tell me tonight.

Stefan came in every now and then to change and to give me updates on dinner but not much else. He looked a little flustered which caused me concern, but I left him to it. The last time I decided to help when he was flustered a few months ago, he shouted at me for over an hour over nothing, which resulted in him sleeping on the couch for being an ass but coming back into bed after an hour or so because we talked it out. It was quite funny really but I wasn't going to tell him that.

After an hour or so, I heard Stefan say to me that dinner was ready, so I double checked my make up and my hair and made my way downstairs to the decking outside. I suddenly stopped at the bottom of the staircase as I saw little tea lights in jars leading me out to the living room, where all of the furniture has been moved to the side and everywhere I look there are candles lit. There are no lights, just candles everywhere giving the whole room a soft glow. It is so romantic! I am so shocked by what I see, I don't even notice Stefan to start off with standing right in the middle of the room. I stare at him with a mixture of love for this man for putting in so much effort and confusion.

"Stefan.." is all I can say with the biggest grin I can muster, I am that speechless.

Music is playing softly in the room. Stefan picks up the remote without saying anything to me and the sound of 'Under My Skin' by Frank Sinatra is playing. Our first song! He holds his hand out for me to take as he pulls me gently to the middle of the room and we dance in silence listening to the song play. This is officially heaven leaning my head on Stefan as we slowly sway side to side which his arms wrapped around mine.

As the song reaches it's ending, another soft Frank Sinatra song plays but we don't dance. Stefan has moved away from me, still holding my hand.

"Did you know that dancing with you to that song was the first time I realised that I loved you?" He asked rhetorically.

I just smile at him watching his face in the soft glow of the candles.

"Elena. I want all of our dances to be like the one we just had. I have never loved a girl so much in my life and I never realised that I could love as girl as much as I love you when dancing with you for the first time in my living room on the night of my birthday. When we kissed for the time it was magical it was.....what everyone says a first kiss should like with the one that you love and every time I kiss you now, I still get that same feeling and I can not get enough of it..."

My eyes and mouth widen into shock as I work out where this is going. Tears are now starting to form down my face from those beautiful words coming out of his mouth right now and my heart is swelling so much and butterflies are forming in my stomach so quickly, I don't think I can stand any longer without kissing or touching him in some way to relieve any of the love I feel right now. My heart swells even more as I watch him sink to one knee in front of me and reaching in his pocket for a small black velvet box. I pull of my hands away from his to cover my mouth from the shock of watching him do what I think he is about to. I must be dreaming.

"Elena. I have loved you for the past two years more than I thought I would love anyone else. I know that we have had our ups and downs, but this right now, is where I want us to be in twenty years, even fifty years time. Happy together and still in love with each other. If it is even possible I fall in love with you every day even more than the day before and I never want us to be apart." He opens up the box to reveal a simple white gold band with a single princess cut diamond in the middle. It's absolutely stunning. "Elena Gilbert. Will you marry me? Be with me forever?"

It was like a knee jerk reaction. There was no two ways about it. "Yes!" I shout back kneeling down to him and grabbing his face in my hands to kiss him fully on the lips. I hug him as we kiss for a while not letting each other go.

As we break I say it again as if the last time wasn't true. "Yes I'll marry you."

"I love you so much" He says pulling the ring out of the box and onto my ring finger on my left hand. The ring fits perfectly! I hold it up to the soft glowing light in the room and it looks perfect. It feels so right! Like it was always meant to be there.

I hold him again and kiss him one more time before answering him once again with all of the love that I can muster. "I love you too Stefan Salvatore."

Most people believe that fairytales are meant to have a damsel in distress who is saved by a prince and lives happily ever after. In my world, I WAS the damsel who needed saving, but it wasn't from a fire breathing dragon or an evil wizard, it was from my life that I wasn't living. My knight turned up in the form of Stefan Salvatore who changed my life for the better and gave me the life that I always wanted. We may not have an ending where we run off into the sunset, but we do have now....We have family, friends.... each other..... and that is my own fairytale coming true.

THE END