Chapter 14

My face freezes for a moment. He loves me? Stefan has just admitted that he loves me! I'm completely in shock. I have no idea what to say to him. Do I love him, I think I do. I have never been in love so I don't know what the feeling is like. Knowing that he loves me fills me with elation. It makes me feel...whole. He has been everything I have been waiting for in a man so far and I want to make this longer than just a month fling. I practically stay at his, we see each other everyday, I miss him when he is not around and I light up again when he is with me. Is this love? I hope it is because I have never felt this with anyone else I have been with. I have always wanted to be in love with a guy who loves me back. I have had a few of my ex's say that they love me to me but I have never felt a rush like this before. I have always felt awkward afterwards but this time I feel excellent. I don't know whether it is because of the night, the fact that Stefan and I have been so close lately or that I am immensely happy but I suck it up and say those three words I have always wanted to say to someone.

"I love you too." His face lights up and he grabs my face and kisses me with such force that I nearly fall over. Yes it is true. I love this man. I meant every word of that and I feel like my heart is swelling and getting bigger as if I was the grinch saving christmas all over again. I have finally reached it. This is what it is like to be in love. I try to stop myself from crying. It feels like this big weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I am free. It is not a burden now. I can happily admit that I love Stefan Salvatore. He parts us and rests his head on my forehead.

"We have to go back otherwise they will think that we are missing." Stefan says and I slightly pout. I didn't want to move from our little moment of heaven in the garden.

"Okay" I say as we walk back into the crowd to join Caroline and Matt. I stare at Caroline with a "Oh My God" look to her and she looks at me with a look of bewilderment. Not wanting to wait any longer, I excuse us both and grab her hand to pull her into the bathroom. We are both standing in the toilets next to the sink when my mouth goes on overdrive.

"Stefan just told me that he loves me" I say as quickly as I can. I needed to tell someone otherwise I would explode. Caroline's face is a look of wonder and amazement. "What did you say back?"

I take a pause before saying it "I told him that I loved him too and I meant it" I say beaming and blushing bright red

"Oh my God! That is amazing! Elena I'm so happy for you." She says hugging me tightly. I had finally got it off my chest. For the next ten minutes I went into detail about what had just happened. Caroline ooh'ed and aah'ed and even gasped when I told her about the kiss.

"That is amazing Elena. I am so happy for you and Stefan. I knew there was something special going on with you two." She said making me roll my eyes. Of course she knew. Nothing ever went past her. We spent another minute or two sorting out our makeup and left the bathroom to meet Damon walking past us.

"Caroline, Elena" Damon said politely. He was dressed all in black. Definitely not in fancy dress.

"Damon." said Caroline in a cold tone and excused herself. She never really warmed up to Damon since his quips about us being journalists when we first met.

"She doesn't like me does she." He said

"She didn't like that you made fun of our job." I say snarkily

"Oh come on it was only a joke. I never meant any harm by it."

"I'm sure you didn't" I said back as reassuringly as I could. If I was going to date Stefan then I had to be nice to Damon and I personally have no problem with him.

"So where is my brother?" He asks looking around the room to look for him.

"He is somewhere. I think he is in the corner over there." I say pointing out someone who looks like him.