Chapter 25

Elena POV

Today is the day of the awards. I literally had to force myself out of my bed not particularly still wanting to go. I haven't slept right the way through the night since I left Stefan. I know that I gave myself this time before the awards to make sure that Stefan understood the enormity of what he had done and for me to do some thinking, but it had all been in vain. Stefan is with Rebekah now. She has won.

I walk into the kitchen and see Caroline and Matt sitting at the breakfast bar. "Hi" I moan out of my mouth grabbing myself a coffee.

"Hey" I hear back from them both. Caroline gives me a look of sincerity. "How are you feeling?"

"Same as always" I answer. "Please tell me that I have crossed off an extra day of my calendar and it is not the awards day."

Matt shakes his head "Sorry." I groan and put my head in my hands.

"I honestly thought that I would be ready for today but I'm not. I haven't even worked out what I am going to say to Stefan when I see him. Honestly it really doesn't matter now." I say taking a swig from my coffee.

"Why do you say that?"

"Because he is with Rebekah now. I can't do anything now. She won."

"No she hasn't." Matt say next to me.

Caroline and I look back shocked. "What do you mean?"

"I saw him two days after you arrived here and I asked about that newspaper article. He completely denies it. He told me himself that he feels nothing for Rebekah." I look back at him with surprise. Caroline just looks mad.

"Why didn't you tell us before? You've let Elena stew for days about it." Caroline shouts at Matt

"Because Stefan told me not to say that I saw him. Believe me Elena I really wanted to say something. All he did was ask about you which I wasn't allowed to say anything about either!.....Honestly he's a mess Elena. He hasn't been the same since. He's more closed off than usual. Also I thought that you working for the paper and all, you would have worked out that it was made up."

"It's not as simple as that Matt." Caroline said

"No no. It's fine. Now I know the truth." Instantly I felt a little bit of weight off my shoulders. Him and Rebekah are not together and I need to talk to him personally to get the full story.

Caroline took a calming breath and walked over to me and gave me a hug. "Never mind. Let's get you ready for the awards. What time do you need to leave?"

"4 pm."

"Good. It's 11 am now so that means we have 6 hours to get you ready. We are going in the VIP area with Stefan and Damon for 7 pm." With the luck that Caroline has, Stefan managed to pull an extra 3 tickets (One of them originally was mine) so Matt, Caroline and Lexi are on the table. They also have Stefan and Damon's mum and dad and Katherine as Damon's date on the table so tonight is going to be extra awkward.

I take a deep breath. "Okay let's do this."

5 pm approaches and I am outside facing the red carpet waiting for all of the award nominees next to the rest of the journalists that were invited. A few people recognised me and asked for a photo and a few questions but I told them that I was on a job so I wouldn't do any of that. The main question that was asked was "How do you feel about Stefan Salvatore moving on so fast with his ex Rebekah Mikelson?" How do you think I am going to feel! God some reporters ask the most ridiculous questions. In the meanwhile waiting to spot Stefan and Damon, I see many top names from the business world and inside I am so proud of Stefan and Damon for making this far and being in the same leagues as these people in front of me.