Chapter 14

Christmas was just around the corner.
Kenny had left in late July and Stan stopped talking to Cartman around the same time.
Cartman spent most of his time just sitting around at home, but his mom had gotten tired of him wallowing in self pity so she made him get a job. He had been working at a gas station for almost two months now so he had some money laying around. He would use them to buy christmas presents, but he didn't have any friends left in town.

"Hey mom!" Cartman called from the livingroom.

"Yes, sweetie?" Liane replied from the kitchen.

"I'm going to work, so I'll miss dinner tonight! And I'm taking the car!"

"Okay, Eric, I'll have something in the fridge for you!"

"Byee!" Cartman said and then went out. He started the car and drove off to work.

There wasn't much to do at the station so Cartman was usually alone at work. He spent most of his time just watching something on his phone and occasionally someone came inside and bought a soda or some gas.
Cartman had started feeling a bit better since he started working, it managed to distract him from thinking about Kyle, except on slow days like this one. Cartman heard the door open so he paused the Simpsons episode he was watching and looked up from behind the counter.

"Hi, I need gas on number 2." Kyle said while looking down at his wallet. "I just need to find my card, hold on a sec."

"Okay.." Cartman replied quietly. He felt like he was about to pass out.

"Ther-" Kyle looked up with his card in his hand. He froze as his eyes met with Cartman's.

"Back from your trip?" Cartman managed to whisper out.

"What?"

"That'll be 20$" Cartman said a bit louder.

"Oh, okay." Kyle paid but didn't leave.

"Anything else?" Cartman asked in a shaky voice.

"I'm sorry.." Kyle replied. "Just sorry." He then turned around and opened the door.

"Kahl!" Cartman shouted after him, stopping Kyle in his tracks. Cartman hurried to the door. "Kyle, I.. I'm sorry." He wanted to take Kyle's hand in his but was afraid. "I lied to you. I remembered that night and I was scared. I'm so used to being defensive and mean, sometimes I don't know how to just act normal. I avoided you because I was a pussy and didn't want to face my feelings." Cartman touched Kyle's hand carefully and looked into his eyes. "Please forgive me.."

"You are kind of a pussy.." Kyle said quietly and chuckled. Cartman smiled.

"Fuck off, Kahl." He replied with a laugh. Kyle put his arms around Cartman and hugged him tight.

"I've missed you." Kyle whispered into Cartman's ear. The whisper sent a warm sensation throughout his body. He felt like he was floating on a cloud.

"I missed you, too." Cartman whispered back. He backed away from Kyle. "Can we meet after my shift? I should be done around 11."

"Okay, wanna meet by the swings at the playground at 11:30?" Kyle suggested.

"Yeah, sounds good." Cartman agreed.