Like Luke, her words seemed to point out.

"How do you know that I would not be unfaithful?"

"I know that the Duke is not like that. Everyone praises you so, including my family and the royal family." 

Annabeth could never imagine the upright Duke having extramarital affairs. Of course, she couldn't say that she knew he was faithful because she had seen it occur before she reincarnated. Those kinds of words would only cause the Duke to lock her up and ask for a psychological evaluation.

"I'm surprised, I must admit. I thought the lady would say she would rather marry for love than marry for political or financial reasons." Percy commented.

"I am not so naive as to wish for that, particularly in this society that we are a part of. Rather than wish for such a superfluous thing, wouldn't it be better to find a compatible partner to get along with? Ah, it's not because of a particular peerage." Annabeth clarified. "Rather, I think Your Grace is the type of person who does not break his promises."

"I'm glad that the lady believes in me so much, despite not knowing me quite well."

His eyes stared at her with a sudden intensity that made Annabeth hot behind her neck.

It was at that moment that Annabeth's shoe hit an uneven patch of floor, and she felt herself pitching backwards. She scolded herself, as she was about to fall and make herself the new laughingstock of society. But before she could fall onto the floor, two strong hands reached out and Annabeth found herself suddenly looking up at the Duke.

Percy's hand was at the small of her back while his other hand held firmly to her hand. He had crushed her tightly to him, and Annabeth couldn't control her blush when her chest bumped into his. Now his face was so close that she could feel his warm breath. He smelled like a delightful combination of the fresh sea breeze and spices, none of that smoke and rum Luke often smelled of.

To the onlookers, the scene before them looked positively romantic as if the handsome Duke had purposely dipped the beautiful lady who held a faint blush on her cheeks. Among some of the women were whispers of what a beautiful picture the Duke and the lady had made, with her golden curls spilling over her shoulders.

The corner of Percy's lips curled up. When he smiled like that, Annabeth was aware as if for the first time just exactly handsome the Duke was. His black hair swept over his eyebrows, highlighting his strong forehead. Green eyes twinkled down at her.

The second song ended. But before Annabeth could say anything else, she spotted Luke coming towards her with an angry face, perhaps to cut in for the next dance.

"I feel quite faint, Your Grace. Perhaps the atmosphere inside the ballroom is too heated." Annabeth quickly said.

Percy took the hint as he gently released her from their position. "Shall we move to the terrace then, my lady?"

Before Luke could even come close, Annabeth and Percy exited the dance floor. Luke was caught in the middle of the dancing couples and had to quickly partner up with a delighted young lady before he could lose face.

Annabeth smiled inwardly, praising the young lady who had intervened unknowingly on her behalf. As a bonus addition, Kelli had a sour look on her face as she saw her secret lover forced to dance with another woman. Often at dances, Luke would dance with Annabeth first before dancing with Kelli for the rest, claiming that he knew Annabeth hated such social events and that he felt pity for the poor lady Kelli who would not get a dance with another man because of her low status in society.

The pair wove through the crowd and exited onto the terrace where tables and chairs were set up for attendees to sit and mingle. Percy beckoned a servant to bring some paper and ink. The two said at an empty table far enough from but still within view of the ballroom so as to maintain the image that there were nothing inappropriate occurring between an unmarried man and woman. Besides there were a few other people just a little further across the terrace.