At first, she had considered going down that route. If Malcolm or her knights had seen Luke with Kelli, they would have fought for the dissolution of the engagement. But then Kelli's reputation would be sullied, and Luke would be forced to marry Kelli or take her as an official second wife. That would have been what Kelli was aiming for, anyways. Kelli couldn't marry Luke otherwise, since officially she and her parents did not have any titles. The Castellan family could never stand for Luke marrying a commoner without special circumstances. The Chase family would have to pay a small dowry, and Annabeth was loathe to even give a little of anything to Kelli. 

No, Annabeth had far greater plans than that. Live quietly now that she had a second chance at life? Pah, she would spit on that path. She would make sure that anyone and everyone involved in her death would have hell to pay, and then some. She would not be satisfied until the Castellan family was driven to ruin and Kelli was kicked out of the Chase family.

With just two copper coins and a cookie for her favorite young stable hand, Annabeth was able to hop on a wagon heading to the royal city. As the wagon rumbled over the cobblestones, she relaxed her mannerisms. No one would be able to tell that she was a noblewoman, especially under the plain cotton cloak with the hood she had on.

The wagon dropped her off in the middle of town, and Annabeth quickly blended into the commoners. In her past life, Kelli had bragged that she and Luke were secretly together before the engagement. As Annabeth recalled, there was a day where Luke had come to meet her and given her and her mother a beautiful silver and sapphire hairpin each that she had seen the receipt before. Kelli had a similar one but an even more luxurious emerald version with golden pearls. Annabeth had thought that Luke had been so sweet, gifting jewelry to the female members of the Chase family. 

The hairpin had much more suited Kelli than Annabeth and her mother. Now Annabeth surmised it was probably Kelli who had wanted the hairpin and Luke had bought a similar version for Annabeth because he didn't know what Annabeth liked. He had never cared in the beginning after all. If her memories were correct, the date on that receipt corresponded to today.

She headed towards the jewelry store where she spotted the carriage of the White Knights Order outside. The emblem of the winged griffin shone on its embossed covering. She arrived just in time to see Luke in his knight uniform exit the store. A companion was with him, smaller in build. A dark cloak with a hood hid the face and clothing of the person next to Luke.

Luke helped the companion onto the carriage. As the companion stepped into the carriage, the hood unfurled slightly, exposing the chestnut hair underneath.

Kelli. Annabeth felt a retching sensation in the back of her throat.

So it was true. Luke had been seeing Kelli behind everyone's back after all.

The carriage soon rumbled off into the distance. Annabeth walked into the jewelry store.

The jewelry store owner came out, inspecting Annabeth's plain maid dress. "How can we help you?" He said coolly.

Annabeth curtsied slightly. "My mistress asked me to look into some hairpins for her. She is planning to have a tea party, sir."

The jewelry owner's eyebrows raised. Annabeth could practically feel the owner's anticipation for making some more money. "And your mistress is?"

"Mistress Gardner," Annabeth lied.

Her friend Katie would just have to forgive her. Annabeth didn't want to expose her sleuthing, just in case Luke found out. Annabeth jingled her heavy money pouch to help the owner along. If she bought anything, she planned on paying in cash instead of on credit so it harder to trace.