Sometimes in Games You Lose

I woke up at seven this bright Monday morning.

"It's a new day," I said to myself and jumped in the shower. I cleaned up, brushed my teeth and ate an apple. I slipped a pencil skirt and white button-up cuffed shirt on. My closet was almost bare because the rest of my clothes were in Anguilla. I then put my heels on and went to work like I always did. I picked up a magazine on the way there and guess who's on the cover page Robin and I that day we were kissing and touching outside of my apartment door. I groaned and read the title. 'NEW MISTRESS??' I opened it to a page of many pictures of us. Once inside of my apartment, outside of the apartment, inside the restaurant and one in Anguilla. How do they get these pictures? Captions in little yellow letters and paragraphs in little white letters describing our 'taboo' relationship. Really? I bet he sold some of these pictures. Pissed.

I passed by Robin's office and with my walls built back up. I backtracked and slammed the magazine on his desk. "Sold the pictures didn't you?" He looked a little terrible and I angrily exited the room. I typed up some plans, notices and papers for the office and went around to pass them out. I stopped at Robin's office and entered timidly. He was indeed staring at me and leaning on his hand, a finger pressed to his temple. He looked a bit better, I couldn't deny it. I didn't say a word to him and walked right back out to my office.

The day went by quickly as I continued to ignore Robin. I ignored his stare, his office calls, his calls to my cell, his e-mails and his text messages. I checked my phone as it rang once again. 9 missed calls and 5 text messages all from Robin and 2 missed calls from Charlie. There were 3 voicemails. I dialed the code and listened.

"What is this magazine?...I'm bringing your things over after work."

And then there was a message from Charlie. "Did you see that magazine? Call me back after work."

I checked the text messages.

What happened yesterday?

Are you regretting that you went with me?

Did I do something wrong?

I love you, baby.

I miss you, lovely.

I sighed. I love you too. I wish I could say that but I just won't let myself. It's hard to give your all and then when it's time to make it official, you're heartbroken and it ends. I've been through it too many times to go through it again. I shouldn't have fell into his lustful trap.

I arrived home and put jeans and a graphic tee on. Someone was knocking on the door and I immediately knew it was Robin.

"Hello," he said and I stepped aside. He stepped in with my bags and set them next to the couch. "What's wrong with you?" I sighed. Is he really that oblivious? I leaned against my counter and stared at him. "Seriously, I go away for two minutes and return and you're not there. Wh-."

"Don't you pay attention to my actions. I looked completely out of place. I wasn't supposed to be there. None of this would have happened if I hadn't agreed to go with you to Anguilla. You would've stayed home and protected your son. You wanna know who robbed your house? My ex-boyfriend from years ago, Jace. I feel like a home wrecking whore, that's what's wrong with me. Did you read the magazine? They make me seem whoreish." He had a pained expression on his face. Oh well, it is true. "I wasn't supposed to be with you. You're perfect, unlike me. I've let my heart get broken too many times. I messed it all up. I'm like an ant compared to what you are, what you have included. I wouldn't want to disrupt the perfectness. This isn't fit for me. It's totally bizarre for me." The room dropped back in silence and it was putting me on edge. His gaze was uncomfortable and stern. His jaw bone was flexing under that flawless skin. I could tell he was pissed. I wouldn't blame him either, but what I said was the truth. It was never fiction.