5: [kyouhaba] select mutisim

(Kyoutani is selectively mute)

3rd pov:

It is very uncommon for people to have selective mutism in their teenage years and adult years, and Kyoutani had gotten over the selective mutism from his childhood with many years of speech therapy. That was until his first year of high school, his father had passed away after an accident and that threw Kyoutani into relapse since his father is the one who helped so much as a kid. After his father passed away Kyoutani took the rest of his first year off and did homeschooling with his mother but when it was time for second-year his mother needed him to go back to school. Instead of him going back to his old school he decided to go to Seijoh.

It was the morning of his first day back to an in-person school and to make it worse he was going to a new school where he knew no one. he got up fairly early and got ready, putting the uniform on. He walked downstairs, he began to feel anxious. He was welcomed with the sight of his mother cooking him and his older sister breakfast, his sister was still upstairs getting ready. His sister and his mother were the two people in the world that he trusted enough to talk to and even that took months to build up after his fathers passing. "Good morning, mom." he spoke up as he walked into the kitchen. "Good morning, sweetheart," she said in a caring voice. "Are you excited for today?" she asked as she put his breakfast on a plate. "Kinda, but I'm nervous," he laughed sheepishly as he admitted to the feeling. "Well, that's to be expected. But if you get too nervous remember where the nurses' office is? Oh and the coach knows about your mutism so he will tell the volleyball team, okay?" she handed him his plate. He just nodded and began eating, "mornin' losers" his sister announced her presence. "Anyways I should be leaving," he said as he washed his plate off. "Not so fast, don't forget your bracelet." his mom said as she handed him his medical bracelet that stated that he was selectively mute and his medical info. "Thanks, mom. Bye guys."

With that, he left the house and began his five-minute walk to the new high school. Once he arrived at the front gates he sighed to himself, he was a couple of minutes early which means he could get into class before everyone else. He walked to his first class, "good morning, Kyoutani. I have been informed that you are selectively mute, I will not make you talk and introduce yourself but I will inform the class of your name and that you are selectively mute. Is that okay?" the young woman asked. He just nodded in response before walking in and taking a seat in the back.

After a few minutes the class began to pour in, he began to feel anxious once again. Once all the students got situated the teacher walked up to the front of the class. "Good morning class, I'm happy to see a few familiar faces this year. We have a new student, his name is Kentarou Kyoutani, he is selectively mute. To simplify it, he will most likely not be talking to any of us but he can use a journal to talk to us, okay?" the class stole glances of the blond sitting in the back as he put on his normal grumpy face. Unbeknownst to him, the two other second years on his team happened to be in his class. The two in question were Yahaba and Watari, they took in the information of him being selectively mute but they didn't know that he was the new volleyball player.

As the class progressed Kyoutani slowly got more and more used to the ways in-person school was again. During his last class, they had a study hall so his classmates wanted to get to know him more, a group of girls flocked around his desk and began to baby him. He hated it, they started talking slowly to him acting like he couldn't understand them. He looked around the classroom before standing up and grabbing his things, quickly making his exit. After he left the classroom he walked around the campus until it was time to go to volleyball practice.

He walked into the gym a little later than the rest of the team, he changed his shoes before entering. "Hey! You must be one of the new ones. We have three new players this year, two first years and one second year. Which are you?" the captain asked. Unfortunately, the Coach had not told the team yet so he was expecting a verbal response. Kyoutani held up his hand showing two fingers before walking off, the captain as taken aback for a second but shook it off. Once the two first years got there and they all changed they walked into the gym. "Alright, so ill have the new members line up. State your name and what position." the captain said confidently. "My name is Yutorou Kindaichi and I'm a middle blocker." the first year stated, the anxiety provident in his voice. "Akira Kunimi, opposite hitter," the other first-year mumbled. They all looked over to the blond expecting him to talk, that was until Yahaba recognized him from class and put two and two together. He was about to say something but before he got the chance the coach came out and spoke up. "His name is Kentarou Kyoutani, he is an opposite hitter." the coach said, walking over to the team.

"Why did you talk for him? He's a big kid, he can do it himself." Hanamaki commented. "He's selectively mute." Yahaba said, walking over to Kyoutani. "Do you still have your journal?" he asked quietly. Kyoutani nodded and grabbed the journal from his backpack, "can you show us your spiking?" he asked, Kyoutani nodded. "Okay, what kind of sets do you like?" he asked. Kyoutani took a minute to write it out, after a little bit he turned it around and showed the latter. "Okay, i can do that."

After all three of them showed the team what they could do they took a break, Oikawa and Iwaizumi walked over to Kyoutani with a kind smile. "Sorry for putting you on the spot back there" Oikawa spoke up. Kyoutani just nodded. "Let us know if you need anything, okay?" Iwaizumi said, trying to be approachable for the new team member but he naturally looked a bit grumpy. "Oh by the way, my name is Iwaizumi and this is Oikawa" Iwaizumi said, Kyoutani again, just nodded looking over to the two.

"Wanna hangout after school? We can go to your house or mine." Yahaba said excitedly as he made his way over to the blond. Kyoutani wrote down in his journal, 'sure, we can go to my house'. Yahaba smiled to himself, "great! see you after practice."

After practice Yahaba and Kyoutani walked home and Yahaba talked while Kyoutani just listened. Once they got there Kyoutani and Yahaba walked in, his sister was home. "Oi Kentar- wait who are you?" she questioned. "Oh my name is Shigeru Yahaba, I'm in the Volleyball club with Kyoutani." he quickly said, a bit nervous since she was intense. "Nice to see he actually made a friend." she teased while rubbing Kyoutani's hair, he quickly swatted it away before grabbing Yahaba wrist and dragging him upstairs.

(word count: 1266)