Chapter 4

Author’s Note: [ ] that means it’s in Mara’s mind and { } means it’s in Hayden’s.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 4

                As Hayden dragged Mara out of the room, she sighed. Not wanting to be taken to see this girl she clearly despised already. A flashback raced through her head of another time Hayden had been crushing on another girl. She remembered her long, dark hair. And her bright blue eyes. Every time you looked into them, you could swear that you saw a star twinkle. The curls of her hair were perfectly bouncy, and the deep red of her lips all-natural. Hayden had sworn he loved that girl. Nothing could change that…until he dragged Mara along with him to meet her. Mara knew that Hayden always judged girls by their looks; not in the bad way though. He would see a girl and fall for them without even saying a word to them. That’s just how he was. She could tell it would be the same with this girl too, especially by the way he was speaking.

“I can’t wait to meet her! I know she’ll like me! She might be the one, Mara!”

“Just like Mary Anne? Or Louise? Or-“

He stopped, looking her in the eyes. “SHUT UP!”

She smirked; she loves it when he’s mad. [He’s so cute when he’s upset…WAIT! What am I thinking?! Shut up brain!!!]  “Fine, fine.”

They both walked outside, Mara went quietly but very reluctantly. The girl they had seen while in the jeep had just walked by them, [Just our luck] she thought as Hayden blurted, “Just our luck!” But she knew that he meant it in a completely different way than her. Hayden suddenly got shy, not moving any closer to the girl. Mara nudged him.

“I thought you wanted to go meet your mystery lover.” She said sarcastically, rolling her eyes.

“Shut up Mara! It’s not as easy as you think! You wouldn’t know, you’ve never even had a boyfriend before, nonetheless a crush!” Hayden quickly covered his mouth and whispered a simple, “I’m sorry.”

Mara looked at the ground, half in anger and half in sorrow. She knew what he had said was right; She’d never even had a crush on anyone before. She didn’t even know how it felt.  “I-it’s okay Hayden, you were angry. I shouldn’t have smarted off.” Hayden gave her a hug. His warm arms wrapping around her body, and the scent of his cologne was near. [That’s the cologne I bought him for his birthday…] She felt warm inside knowing this. She then wrapped her arms around him as well, melting into his body. {This feels…go-} Hayden’s thought was interrupted as Mara unconsciously moved her body slightly closer to his. The mystery girl walked by, and Hayden quickly let go, Mara almost falling to the ground.

“Hey there cutie.” The girl said in a flirtatious voice, twirling her hair in her hand and biting her lip with a slight smile on her dainty lips. Her blonde hair shining in the bright sun.

“H-hey.” Hayden replied in a nervous voice, almost chocking up.

“So…” Mara knew this was going to be awkward, so she tried to break the ice. The girl glanced in her direction, signaling her to get lost. Mara knew that she was definite trouble, so she started to walk away. She could hear them giggling and laughing behind her. [Why didn’t he try to stop me…? Is she really that spell-binding?] She looked back, and noticed her hand trailing up his arm in a seductive way. She got that gut-grinding feeling again and had the sudden urge to pull him away. She knew it was wrong and avoided the situation completely. She ran. She ran as fast as she could, while tears streamed down her cheeks. Nothing could stop her; she just wanted to get away from there as fast as possible.

She slowed down, running out of breath and came to a stop at the end of the street. She could no longer hear them, but if she looked behind, she could still slightly see them. [W-what is this?!] She noticed the tears on her face, and began hastily wiping them away. [Why the hell am I crying?! First I had this feeling as if…if I was jealous and now this?! What’s going on?!] There was no end to the amount of thoughts running laps in her head. She could hear Hayden’s voice coming up behind her as she got dizzy.

“Hey! Mara! Why’d you leave back there?” His voice was trailing off in her head. She knew that this wasn’t going to be good. She was right. As Hayden got closer, she fell to ground. Her arms hitting the hard road and her body going limp. She had fainted.