Chapter 2

Chapter 2

                The soft smell of spring wisps by them, her hair flowing in the wind. The deep red, twirling and whirling in the air. The slightly curled tips dancing to the rhythm of the breeze. Hayden looked over, a small, absent-minded smirk stitching its way across his mouth. Mara looked over, noticing the smirk and grinning herself; timidly asking “What?” as a rose-petal shade of blush appeared throughout her cheeks.

“Nothing.” Hayden replied solemnly, the smirk quickly fading.

“Oh…ok then?” Mara’s voice was questioning his answer, it seemed like there was something more than what he was telling her.

Hayden looked around, noticing a sign that read: New Orleans, next exit “L-looks like we’re here!”

“Woo! Right on! Are you ready for a week of fun and nothing more?!” Mara’s voice jumped with excitement.

“Totally!” Hayden semi-shouted.

Hayden turned his car to the right, getting onto the exit and crossing over the bridge to New Orleans. Living in Louisiana had its up and its downs. They both looked around, noticing the wreckage from the hurricane from the previous year. They both remember how many lives had been lost, how many people had been hurt, and how many homes had been washed away. They got chills as the haunting memories flooded their minds, wanting nothing more to forget what had happened.

“I-it’s a shame…” Mara’s voice was full of dis-content.

“Yeah…but let’s try to forget about that this week. Let’s focus on fun!”

Mara glanced over, removing her sunglasses from her eyes in a very cocky manner. “Now you sound like a washed up cartoon character from the 90’s.”

They both laughed. As they entered the city, they were greeted with a bombardment of lights, buildings, and people. Street performers entertaining crowds of tourists, small shops creating loads of conversation, and each tour booth crowded with people.  Mara threw her hands in the air, letting out a small scream of pleasure followed by an innocent giggle. Hayden smiled, his soft lips matching the color of his cheeks. A group of girls in bikini tops walked by. Just another one of those cliché groups you see at hot tour spots and beaches. The leader of the group seeming to be a girl of average height, looking to be no older than about 16. Her hair was platinum blonde, the ends perfectly straight and reaching past her shoulders. The top cut into short layers, and her bangs parted to the left side of her face. Her eyes a soft green, her lips an almost nude-colored, coral shade. Her nose primp and pristine. Being small at the end, and small at the top. She was perfect in Mara’s eyes. Hayden’s too. But Mara knew something Hayden didn’t: She was fake. She was as fake as a tan on an Irish girl in the middle of winter. As fake as a Christmas tree in the middle of July. Mara could tell already that she was trouble. And not the good kind.

“Hayden…Hayden!” Mara snapped, waving her hands in front of his face.

“O-oh, sorry! Sorry!” He snapped back to reality, tearing his face away from the stranger.

“Yeah! You better be!” She punched his arm lightly.

“Hey, I am! I am!” He laughed, to Mara; his laugh was the most amazing thing to hear.

 “Good.” She smiled at him. Her chest feelings like feathers were being let loose. Like a million butterflies had just hatched from their cocoons and were settling in to their wings

[W-what is this?] Mara though to herself, having never felt anything like it before. She glanced back to Hayden, his eyes still asphyxiated on the girl. Now she was feeling strange again. She couldn’t describe it.  It was as if someone had taken something she loved deeply away from her. Hayden was her best friend, and she had seen him look at girls like that before, so why would it bother her now? She shook her head, forgetting the thought and focusing on what is to come of the big week they had ahead of them. [I just hope that girl stays out of our way…]