Chapter 1

Author’s Note: Yeah, so there aren’t going to be a lot of these or anything but I thought that I would add that this is my first story, so please don’t hate me if it’s horrible. I like to include a lot of detail so there is. So, enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                              Chapter 1

“Red? No. Purple? No. Ugh…screw this.” She said as she threw down the two satin dresses onto the ground, heading to her bathroom and staring at her face in the mirror. “Mara…Mara Anne Leflow” Her name echoed off her lips, filling the once silent bathroom with warmth. Her red hair, as bright as that of a gumball that you would get out of a machine in a convience store, covered her face ever so slightly. The tips barely curling, laying right above her shoulders. She looked once more, noticing her hazel-brown eyes. The rims catching in the bathroom light, giving off a yellow hue. They were the only part of herself that she was madly in love with. That and her slightly bow-shaped, soft-pink lips. Those two parts were perfect in essence. The thing she hated most was her nose. To her it was stubby at the end, and big towards the top. A bulbous is how she has frequently described it. She took another glance, and gave off a slight smirk. She had never thought she was beautiful, or even pretty. But at times like this, in just the right light, and at just the right angle, she gets a small thought, “Hey…I’m kinda pretty.” She un-zipped her make-up bag, pulling out some velvet-black eyeliner and mascara, painting her eyes with them as a painter would a canvas. Moving her hand ever so slightly to make the perfect line tracing her eyes. That was her daily routine. No cover-up. No foundation. Not even lip gloss. It wasn’t worth the time to her. She set them back in the bag, zipping it back up, as a voice was heard from the other room. “Mara! Get your ass out here!” She let out a sigh of relief, recognizing the some-what husky voice as her best friend, Hayden.

“Hayden!” Her voice once again filled the empty room with warmth. She jumped onto him, knocking him on the ground.

“What the hell was that for?!”

“I dunno.” She thumped the back of his head with her hand.

“Ow! Hey! If you don’t stop abusing me, I’ll leave!”

“You know you love me!”

She let out a giggle as she rose from on top of him. He grunted slightly. She stood up and looked at him, a smile rising across her face. His semi-long blonde hair covering part of his right eye and the ends sticking straight out of his cyan blue hat.  The blue of his eyes shimmered in the sun that was beaming through her window. His lightly toned skin complimented the delicate pink of his lips. All she needed to see was his face; she didn’t care what his body looked like. But curiosity broke through and she peered down ever so slightly, looking at his attire. He was wearing the usual, a V-neck tee shirt, covered up by a striped black-and-white jacket. He had thrown on his purple zebra-striped belt over his tightly fitting skinny jeans. The dark blue of them, almost fully covered with paint stains. Reds and blues, all tying together, being split up by a bright yellow. The memory of how they got there made another smirk appear across her face.

“What are you staring at?” The words escaped his mouth like a prisoner would in jail.

“N-nothing…nothing” She smirked at him, an innocent grin appearing.

“Don’t pretend like you don’t like the merchandise.” He thrusted his hips with a serious face.

“Oh yeah, so much!” She laughed, heading over to her closet to grab a jacket. She already had on some plain, blue skinny jeans and her Pink Flloyd tee shirt, but her look wasn’t complete without a blue jacket that she had bought in the men’s department the summer before. It being so big was the reason it still fit. She walked over to Hayden, pulling his hat off of his head. “Hey!” He said as he went to grab it from her. She had turned around and ran to the other side of her bed, slipping the hat over her hair and laughing. He ran over to where she was and picked her up.

“I’ll show you!” He said in a deep voice, trying to act scary.

“No! No! Hayden, put me down!!” The words jumped from her mouth, in-between laughs.

“No way!” He threw her on top of her bed. The lime-green covers crumpling under her weight as he lay on top of her.

“Say mercy!” He joked.

“Never!” She squealed.

“Do it!” He pressed against her harder, her voice now almost too busy laughing to speak.

“M-mercy! Mercy, Hayden, mercy!”

“That’s what I thought!” He laughed as he rose up off of her, reaching out a hand for her to grab and help her up with. She then grabbed his hand, pulling him on top of her once more, their faces inches away. He leaned in, his eyes still open. She leaned in with him, her eyes open as well. The small silence was quickly chased away as Hayden whispered while glaring at her, “Race ya to the car!” And jumped off of her, running out of her room, grabbing his hat from her head as he ran. She smirked as she heard the door close. She knew he had beaten her, but she didn’t care. She sat there for a moment, wondering why he had gotten so close to her. She quickly shrugged off the idea and got up, walking over to her door where she marked off another day on her calendar. Peering down at the 25 of March, circled in red pen. The words “MY 16th B-DAY!!!!!” written inside of it. She sighed with a smile and walked out of her house, calling behind her, “Mom! I’ll be back eventually!” and closing the door behind her. She walked up to Hayden’s yellow Jeep Wrangler; beat up from who-knows-what-happened. She smiled and hopped in, not needing to open the door. She looked over at Hayden and pulled down her big, red aviators over her eyes and nodded.

“Ready?”

“Hell yeah!”

He started the engine and they roared out of the driveway. “Good-bye Baton Rouge! Hello New Orleans!” Laughter filled the open air as they began to drive off for Spring Break week.