Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The yellow car shines in the bright Louisiana light as the duo pulls into  the parking lot of a small hotel. They had stayed here in the past and knew it was the place to be. It was never too crowded because of how it looked on the outside. It had bricks covering the exterior, once a lovely shade of red but now a worn-out shade of brown. Ivy crawled up the sides, and rusted-over metal decorated the doorway. To Hayden and Mara, it was the perfect place. But to others, it seemed like a ghost-house. Hayden parked the car, grabbing their bags from the back of the jeep. Mara stepped out, holding the check-in information in her hand and a camera bag in the other. Taking pictures was her life, and she hoped to pursue her dream of becoming a well-known photographer. They both smelled the air, the heavy scent of spring in the air. Flowers blooming all around, birds fluttering away from tree to tree. The sun beamed down over Mara, the rays bathing her skin in warmth. Mara smiled over at Hayden.

“Ready?” She asked, sure of his response.

“No, no I’m not Mara. I drove all this way for spring break and no, I’m not ready.” Hayden smarted off.

Mara said with a smack to his head, “Oh, get over yourself.”

They both laughed and headed inside, being greeted by a fountain that was setting in the middle of the hallway. The floor a lovely hard-wood, and very lightly colored. The ceiling having a mural painted on it, chipping away but still easily made-out. The crown molds added a decorative essence all around as they walked up to the check-in desk where a man greeted them with warmth.

“How may I help you two?” He asked.

“Well, we’ve already got our room; we just need to be headed in the right direction.” Mara handed the man the check-in papers and smiled.

“Ah, Mr. Doro and Miss Leflow. Go straight down this hallway and make a right, your room should be on the left. Have a nice stay.” He handed Mara a room key.

“Thank you!” They waved at the concierge while smiling and headed towards their room. Mara unlocked the door and entered the room, laying herself on the nearest bed.

“This one’s mine.”

“Well ok then, I’ll just take the other one.” Hayden threw the bags on the ground and layed atop the other bed.

“So, what should we do first?” Mara asked, looking at a map.

“I wonder who that girl was…” Hayden dis-regarded her question.

[So…he did notice her.] Mara had that same feeling that she felt earlier in the car. [What is this?!] She couldn’t put a name to what she was feeling, but she didn’t like it. 

“I don’t know who she was; maybe you should’ve asked her.” She snickered and looked away from him.

“You’re right…let’s go look for her.” He jumped off his bed and pulled Mara from hers, heading towards the door.

“Let’s not and say we did, mmk?” 

“How about…no.” He continued to pull her and she walked along, not liking where this was heading. She wanted that girl to stay out of her vacation, but now it looks like she’s going to be a big part of it. [Hayden, why can’t you see that she’s a fake?!]