Chapter Sixteen

CW: ...more angst...sorry it's almost over...

Castiel, Captain of the Knights of Heaven, stormed into the war room in Heaven, his black wings tucking behind him and his cobalt blue cloak rippling in his wake. King Chuck was standing at the head of the table, Lucifer and Michael sitting nearby as Gabriel stood at the other end. All of them looked around at his arrival.

"Castiel." King Chuck said in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"The Earth Prince no longer requires my service." Castiel's cold voice echoed as he stood next to Gabriel, clasping his hands behind his back. "I respectfully ask to be assigned back into the war efforts."

"Such requests can be taken after our meeting." King Chuck said, but Gabriel spoke up.

"I offered him the General position, Father." He said calmly. There was an unnatural air of regality between both him and Castiel that no one had ever seen before.

"I am taking him up on that offer." Castiel said. "I believe my military experience and Gabriel's ingenuity will give us an advantage against Abbadon."

Lucifer and Michael, who were both heavily bandaged, glanced at the King for his reaction. Chuck let out a heavy sigh.

"Very well." He conceded. "Congratulations, Castiel. You're a General. Gabriel will take Michael's garrison, and you will lead Lucifer's."

"Yes sir." Castiel said, his mouth pressed tightly together.

— § —

The moment King Chuck dismissed the meeting, Gabriel shoved Castiel against the closest wall he could find—his strength outmatched despite the height difference.

"What the hell are you doing here, Cassie? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad as hell you're here, but what about—?"

"It doesn't matter." Castiel said gruffly, brushing at his wings in annoyance. "I'm here, and together we will win this war."

"What did that stupid Earth Prince do to you?" Gabriel's eyes bore into his own.

"It's done." Castiel snapped, swatting away the hand the Prince laid on his shoulder. "I just want to fulfill my duties, Gabriel. I pledged my life to Heaven, an oath I shouldn't have forgotten."

"Cassie—"

"Are you with me, Gabriel?"

The Prince sighed.

"Of course I am, brother."

— § —

General Castiel made quick work of earning Lucifer's garrison's respect. Nearly a year away from Heaven, and he still had the power and skills to ensure no one would step out of line under his command. He trained them all fiercely with what little time they had left before the next battle, and just in the small time span alone his reputation as an fierce and commanding General quickly earned him the Knights' respect again.

He didn't eat, he didn't sleep, he never once sat down to rest. His time on Earth had dwindled his need for every day functions, paired with the cold storm that numbed his insides.

People only ever saw Castiel in the training fields, slicing practice posts to pieces or brutally winning combat matches with his knights. His pale gold General cuff never came off, and neither did his armor or cloak, always shiny and clean despite the hours of training. There was something broken in Castiel, but he wasn't going to let it reflect upon his clothing.

He and Gabriel worked side by side, spending hours pouring over battle plans and bouncing ideas off each other. The youngest Heaven Prince was the only person who ever got to see Castiel sit down, let alone shed his armor at the very least.