I had my bag slung on my shoulder and small book in my hands when I shut the locker – but the book slammed to the floor loudly when I saw what was on the other side.

  Damn.

  I glanced down at the book and then looked back into his eyes, expecting him to be gallant and pick it up for me.

  He never did.

  "Aren't you going to get it?"

  His stare twisted, resembling ice. "Why should I?"

  I didn't bother questioning his tone.

  Not that I cared how he talked to me. I shrugged, and easily picked it up. I ignored the look he was giving me, and instead grabbed hold of my stuff before walking around him.

  Before I could escape, I heard him again. "Can I ask you something?"

  I stopped, eying the people with envy that passed by the end of the hall, going home. Heaving a sigh, I turned around – giving him one look over.

  The white loose shirt that hung somewhat low, dark matching jeans, and solid black blazer made me stare too long. He almost looked unreal – what, with the way he kept his eyes directed to the floor as he thought, and his hands stuffed in his pockets were only adding to the dreamlike image.

  Wow, am I really staring at his clothes? I'm pretty sure my IQ just dropped ten points.

  "Go for it," I muttered.

  His eyes flashed up, not necessarily changing color – but slightly growing darker as he studied me. It took him a while to speak, but he got it out before I lost my patience. "Do you like me?"

  I made sure I heard that right. When I was sure I did, I glanced around – relieved that most people were clearing out the halls, and not stopping to watch the scene going on.

  Finding words on the spot wasn't one of my best qualities, and although at certain times it seemed as if I did – I couldn't answer him as quickly with a straight answer, especially to a clear-cut question like that. "Look...Jesse, I—"

  "Just answer the question," he cut me off.

  Impatience was something we had in common. "I'm not going to."

  His eyes narrowed. "Why not?"

  "Because it's a stupid question."

  "And it only takes someone stupid not to answer it."

  I paused.

  Walk away before you punch him.

  "I'm not going to stay here just to argue." I turned so I could leave again.

  But of course, the instigator had to pop in front of me before I got in even two steps. "So by walking away, you're implying that you do?"

  Annoyance crossed my features. "No, by walking away I'm implying that you're not worth my time."

  "You're time?"

  I smiled. "I didn't stutter."

  He let me walk past him this time, but his voice filled the hall – almost as if he were musing to himself. "Then I'll just go find someone who will answer it."

  I stopped, suddenly bewildered, and turned to look at him. "Find someone to answer it?" I repeated.

  He smiled – resembling mine in a mocking way. "I didn't stutter."