Chapter 31 (Abigail)

Just as we were about to turn around to leave, I could hear a movement in the snow and turned around, stopping Loki in his tracks so he could see as well. Those that fought with us here were kneeled before us as others were coming back to their homes, some kneeling while others stood where they were. There was a mix of energies in the crowd.

"Our Queen, it was a pleasure to fight with you today." One of the giants said with pure respect in his voice. "We offer to you and our king our fealty to serve you both."

Both Loki and I looked to each other and then to those who were paying their respects. There was a rumble towards the back of the crowd from those who did not share in the same feelings. "Thank you. We shall return soon to pay our respects to those who have fallen here today. May the halls of Valhalla welcome them all after dying bravely in combat."

We bowed to those who saw us as their leaders and I knew there was much more we needed to do to patch the relations, not only between us and them, but between Asgard and Joutinheim. And wouldn't you know it, Odin still managed to get his wish that Loki could be the one to give the peace between the realms that they so desperately needed.

As the bifrost opened, we were transported back to Asgard where we met up with the other Avengers. I quickly ran to give my father a hug, happy that he wasn't one of the many we had lost that day.

"You're safe!" My father and I said at the same time as we embraced each other.

"Of course I am, and there's so much to tell tonight as the celebration, but first I really need a shower." I said with a laugh.

"I'll see you soon, Abby. I know Pepper will be happy to see you again."

I nodded happily and quickly followed Loki to our chambers. As I started the water for as hot as I could make it, I felt bad that I couldn't handle cold showers. I wanted my daddy close, to know that we really did make it after an extraordinary battle. I quickly stripped off my dirty clothes and threw them in the corner before stepping under the stream of hot water. I moaned a little as the water hit my sore muscles and began to scrub my hair of the black goo. I felt absolutely disgusting with it all over me, but in the end, at least it wasn't our blood I was scrubbing out of my hair.

I thought about the start of our year; I was so determined to not build anything for war and not wanting anything to do with it, and yet here I was, not only did I create weapons, but I also fought. I used to pride myself on keeping the peace and being way more peaceful than the other Starks in my family. I knew, though, that this was inevitable. There was no talking things out with an entity that punched first so that meant I was going to punch last and make it count. I watched as the battle's remnants were flushed down the drain by new, cleaner water. I wanted to believe it was making me clean again, and not just in the literal sense.

Once satisfied that I had all of the goo off of me, I turned off the water and wrapped myself in a towel. I stepped out of the bathroom to see Loki already cleaned and sitting there waiting for me.

"Forgive me, Kitten, but I used another wash room. I didn't want to disturb you.."

"It's okay, Daddy. I'm kinda glad you did." I said softly as I curled into his lap and wrapped my arms around him.

"Everything okay?" I shook my head no. "What's wrong?"

"I spent my entire life saying that there's always another way other than violence. Yet lately, I feel like I'm constantly in battle mode." I said softly. "Don't get me wrong, I'll fight when needed, but it's just not as black and white as I used to think it was."

He kissed me on top of my head and held me closely. "I know you hate being a fighter, Kitten, but know I will do my best to keep you out of the line of fire." He said softly.