32

Tom's POV

July  - 7 months before present time

I quietly shut Daniel's door, careful not to wake him. It took almost half an hour to get him to finally fall asleep. He would seem to be asleep, but when you went to go out the door he would start crying again.

I took a seat beside Olivia who was reading a book. Her blonde hair was now cut short giving her that mom look. She had a glass of wine in one hand and flipped the page with the other.

"What are we going to do when you leave us?" She shut her book and placed the glass on the end table. She turned letting her back be supported by the couch arm to fully face me.

"I'm not leaving to go film until October. I'll still be coming here to be here for Daniel."

She made a face when I didn't include her. "First acting job since you found out about him. Ready for it?"

I let out a breath. Going back into the film industry was exciting. It's been more than a year since I was on a set. Now that Daniel was a year and six months old, I thought I would try to see how it goes if I got a job. Taking this one is almost like a trial run. I can see how Olivia does with Daniel alone and her parents. If it doesn't work out,  I'll just have to wait before I get another one.

"Yeah very."

Olivia started to move to lay down. She stretched out her legs on top of my lap. I gently picked them up, moved out of the way, and placed them back down on the couch.

"I think I'm going to head back to my hotel now. Have a good night Olivia."

Before I could get up to grab my things, Olivia sat up and grabbed my arm. "Tom. What ever happened to you moving here?"

"I was going to, just haven't found a place yet." Truth was I didn't want to move here. I have kept putting it off as much as I can. This place doesn't feel like my home.

"Why don't you move in here with me then?"

I grabbed her wrist to make her let go of my arm. "Olivia, I don't think that's the best idea for anyone."

"It's the best idea for me and Daniel. We could be a family. All happy and together under the same roof."

"It wouldn't be the kind of family you would want it to be."

"That's because you won't give us a chance. We belong together." She looked down defeated, whispering the last few words.

I felt bad for her, I really did, but I can't give her what she wants. I could fake being happy for awhile, but sooner or later it would all fall apart. I don't feel for her the way she does for me.

I got up and grabbed my things before turning around to look back at the glum girl. "Don't forget I'll be here for Daniel's birthday. I already made it a notice that I would leave filming in January to come and celebrate his second birthday since I missed his first one."

She looked up at me confused. "January?"

A confused smile started to form on my face at her confusion. "Yeah. In January."

"His birthday is in December."

I drew my eyebrows together wondering if she was delusional. "No, it's in January."

"No, his birthday is in December. December seventh. I didn't forget the date I gave birth to my only son."

I looked to the side to think this through. "Was Daniel born premature?"

She half chuckled. "No. Why would you ask?"

"How much wine have you had to drink?"

"Two and a half glasses." She raised the drink in the air that was sitting on the table.