~traitor~

and there he was, sat so casually on that bar table that it was easy to look past the situation we were in. he seems so foreign there, like seeing a fairy within a hellish nightmare.

after a long while of time seemingly coming to a stop, it starts its motion again. his eyes finally drift up to mine, and he puts on his usual devilish grin.

"hello phantom, nice to see you again" he says in a joking matter.

it hits me all at once. the boy in my dreams face resurfaces. i obtain my memories locked within the deepest crevices of my mind, and i don't like what i'm remembering. i don't like it at all.

   —————————————————————

back then, i used to call him Shi, as in Hitoshi, or little one, and he would call me rabbit, due to my large teeth i had at the time, and  because calling each other by our usual names felt weird and was disapproved by tomura. whenever he saw us playing he would always separate us.

he acted a lot different back then, a massive crybaby. i don't think i ever saw him without tears in his eyes. the only time he acted like his usual self was during the night, where no one would bother us. that's when he became cocky, and would always be so intrigued about my new quirks. he was always jealous of them, upset that his own wasn't nearly strong enough yet.

he looked different, too. his hair was more flat and ragged, still resembling his natural purple colour. his face and legs were always bruised or covered in plasters, and he'd constantly be snivelling, attempting to hold in his tears and be strong. of course, it never worked.

i realise now that he's the reason i bottled it all up. because i had to be strong for Shi.

despite his cowardly manner, he was always my comfort blanket, whenever i felt like it was too much, it was always him i could come to. though i'd never make it obvious to him, he always knew when i was upset, and hated whoever made me feel that way.

i never found out exactly why he was there, or how he got there in the first place, we never necessarily talked about it. we were more focused on what was currently happening, and more importantly surviving. i can't see why they kept him, he was practically useless to them and i barely ever saw him during fights. usually, they'd throw someone like that out as soon as they had the chance, like rotting fruit or an empty packet.

we would always make up fantasies about a life where we didn't live there, where we could go outside and do whatever we wanted, without the harsh cruelty of the people around us. as the older one, i would always be the one initiating vast plans of escape. he would always play it off, telling me how it was stupid and that we would never make it. however, no matter how many times he shook his head in disbelief, he always had this hopeful glint in his eyes.

we both wanted to leave so badly that even the thought of it would keep us going.

and i left him, i remember the day so vividly, it's like it was yesterday.

with my newly implanted banshee abilities, all of my senses were heightened, including my paranoia. i could hear everyone's thoughts, and my danger radar was gnawing at me constantly, i couldn't shake the feeling of dread off my conscience. i heard mutters about a new brainwashing quirk, theories surrounding using it on me.

Shi's mind was full of thoughts, so many that i could barely listen to one. i wasn't scared that night, i was just so utterly overwhelmed that my body did the work for me. my permeability worked, despite it not working in my cell before, and i took my chance there and then.

all i remember before taking off, was one single split second, one glance beyond the walls, i saw his face. i saw his face as he watched me sink away. he didn't say anything at all, his expression barely even changed. he mouth opened slightly, and he lifted his hand up to the door, touching it lightly, as if to say, "wait for me"...