The Letters Of Pursuit

Start from the beginning

Fred had found her letters from Draco.

"You've been busy haven't you?" he asked her tauntingly loud, knowing he had caught her out.

She had never meant for anyone to find them, especially him.

Jessica closed the door behind her quickly so that nobody else could hear. "How did you get those?" she whispered, "they're private!"

"I was waiting for you when I rested on your pillow and heard something crunch," Fred explained casually, not realising or caring what an insane breach of privacy this was to her, "I should be surprised but finding out another one of your secrets comes as often as the sun setting at this point. I'm guessing this is what you've really been using that diary of yours for too."

Jessica walked up to him and tried to snatch the letters out of his hands, furious that he had come into her space and taken something that wasn't his, but he stood up and lifted his arm straight towards the ceiling so that they were out of her reach.

It was so annoying that he could do that.

Jessica stood up on her bed to gain height but Fred copied her straight after to eliminate the difference, causing her to wobble on the unsteady mattress.

"Fred I'm allowed to write to my friends, you had no right to read them!"

"Friends?' Fred frowned, and he looked at the letter above him to begin reading, "To Jess, the only thing getting me through the next few days is seeing your face at Kings Cross. I hope that when we finally get back to that prison of a school we can be each other's freedom and peace of mind now that we understand each other. Shall we go to our old place on the astronomy tower the first night back? I'd rather spend it alone with you than with the idiots that keep our company.'"

Jessica's cheeks flushed red from half embarrassment, half longing, and Fred stared right back down at her, "looks a bit more than friends to me."

"I'm single, it's allowed," Jessica argued back as she jumped up to take another unsuccessful swipe at the letters, "for god sake, why do you care?"

Fred sorted through the letters in his hands high above her, flicking through them until he got to the sketch that Draco had done. His tightened face changed into a comical grin as he let out a laugh. "Ah look, he even took the time to draw you, that's sweet isn't it? Where's that, your special place? On a nice date were we?"

"No it was when we doing our project, it was ages ago," Jessica told him, and she watched his eyes twitch as he remembered that they were still together at the time this was drawn, "anyway I shouldn't have to answer to you, give them back!"

Fred didn't give any of them back. He instead jumped off the bed and strode around her room, reading each page one by one and discarding them to the floor once he was done.

"Wow, he's really getting deep here isn't he," he said after he took a fancy to one page in particular, "he could rival Lockhart on the worlds biggest bullshitter list. Oh, I'd love to see your letters back to this shit I really would. I think the Order would find this very interesting, private communications with the son of a death eater and all that."

"My friend," muttered Jessica as she picked up the paper trail behind him.

"What?"

Jessica stood up straight and flattened her long hair and nightdress down. "He's my friend," she told him confidently, "and I'd prefer you regard him as such."

Fred turned around with a face of disbelief, "Jess do you know what Lucius has done-"

"I don't care, I'm not writing to Lucius, am I?" Jessica interrupted harshly, "I'm writing to Draco, my friend, who quite frankly has given more of a shit about me than you and the majority of people in this house have combined this Christmas."