I recited some of the lines of my favorite childhood book, Oh the Places You'll Go, that Mike read to me at bedtime when I was growing up.

"Today is your day. You're off to great places. You're off and away. It's opener there in the wide open air." I had to pause for a second because the tears started to fall. I knew I'd never get through this without crying but I didn't want to let Mike down so I kept going. "Wherever you fly, you'll be best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. Today is your day. Your mountain is waiting. So get on your way. Oh the places you'll go."

I'm full on sobbing now as I turn to face Mike's casket, saying, "I wish I could go with you, Mike, because I don't want to live without you. I already miss you so much." Seeing the watch on his wrist that my cousin, sisters, and I gave him when we graduated highschool, I quietly whispered, "You really are our guardian angel now."

Two weeks later

Julie's pov

After Mike's funeral, I moped around for a couple weeks, never leaving my bedroom, crying and sleeping most of the time. I finally decided to get out of the house so I went to Dr. Curtis's office. I just needed to be around him for some reason. I know how much he loved and cared for Mike and since he was like a father to him, he seemed like the most logical stand-in. He's the closest I can get to one of Mike's relatives. I'm not sure why exactly but I have a feeling Dr. Curtis knows better than anyone how I'm feeling right now.

"Come in," I heard him say, after I lightly rapped on his door. "Julie!" Dr. Curtis quickly placed the item he was holding in his hands into one of his desk drawers as he stood to greet me. It appeared to be a photograph. He seemed quite surprised and oddly unnerved to find I was the one knocking on his door. "What can I do for you, sweetheart?"

For whatever reason, or no reason at all, I immediately teared up and found myself unable to speak. I was afraid the moment I opened my mouth, I'd begin sobbing uncontrollably, rendering me completely incoherent. Dr. Curtis swiftly enveloped me into a much needed hug, wrapping me securely in his arms.

"I know, darlin', I miss him too."

The way he said darlin' sounded so much like Mike used to say it, I just broke down. Dr. Curtis held me for awhile, comforting me until I stopped crying.

"Would it be alright if I stayed here for a little bit while you work, Dr Curtis? I just don't want to be alone right now." I feel like an idiot standing here sniffling but I don't care.

"You may stay as long as you'd like, Julie. You know I love having you here, you're always welcome. You never have to ask permission, luv." Dr. Curtis smiled sympathetically as he patted my arm.

"Thank you, sir," I said sadly, still sniffling.

"How 'bout a spot of tea, luv?" Dr. Curtis started filling my teacup before I could even answer him.

"Only if you'll join me, sir." I managed to muster a weak smile amidst my sad sniffling.

"Of course, darlin', I'd love to." Dr. Curtis spoke so sincerely as he gave me his full attention. We sat and talked for over an hour as we sipped our tea until we were interrupted by a phone call. "Please excuse me for a few minutes, Julie. There's a situation I need to handle."

"Of course, Dr. Curtis. I'm sorry to have bothered you while you're working. I'll get out of your hair now," I said apologetically, as I got up to leave.

"Nonsense. I'll only be but a few minutes so you stay and enjoy your tea. When I return, we'll continue our conversation." Dr. Curtis smiled warmly at me.

"No, really it's okay, sir, I don't want to be a burden."

"Julie..." he paused ensuring he had my full attention, "please stay," he said in an earnest, yet melancholy tone that implied he wasn't making a request, at least not one I could refuse.

"Okay." I nodded, sitting back down without further prompting since I really wanted to stay. After Dr. Curtis left, I finished my cup of tea then quickly became restless awaiting his return. As I paced the length of his office floor for the fifth time, I stopped short at his desk, contemplating opening the drawer that contained the photo he hid away when I came in.

I bit my bottom lip as my eyes darted around the room nervously, sure I'd somehow be caught snooping through his private things. The inner battle raged between the devil and angel sitting atop my shoulders. It's really none of your business what's in that drawer. Do you really want to break his trust over something so trivial? The angel made some valid points. The devil countered though. What's he hiding? You have a right to know if that photo has something to do with you or your siblings or your guardians. And if it doesn't, then what's the big deal if you see it anyway?

Ugghhh. What should I do? I tapped my foot anxiously as my fingers inched closer to the handle. I mean, what's the big deal? It's just a picture. Right? I'm sure it's not like porn or anything. Yeah. How bad could it be? I let my curiosity get the best of me so I opened the drawer.

"Oh my God!" I said aloud, as my jaw dropped.

"JULIE!" Dr. Curtis snapped at me from the doorway.