13. April: The new school year

It was now April, the beginning of a new school year.

Eddy was now in 2nd year and Yang in 3rd.

Eddy checked his name on the new class list that was displayed adjacent to the bike parking lot on the school grounds. He was placed in 2D. He felt a tap on his arm and turned around. He smiled.

"Hey, Brettany."

"Hi, Eddy!"

Brettany was beaming.

"Eddy, I hope you don't mind.. we're both in 2D."

"Really ? That's great! Why would I mind ??"

"I dunno.. I thought you might find it awkward..?"

Eddy gave a shy smile.

"Brettany, I think I'll always be awkward... but I'm definitely happy we are in the same class."

Brettany smiled.

"I'm really happy to hear that.  So are you busy today?"

"Yeah, I've got a club meeting with the AFC for tomorrow when the new 1st years arrive for their first day.  It's a big recruitment  day for clubs."

"Of course.  Good luck with that Eddy, I'll catch up with you in class."

"Okay."

---------------------------------------------------------

Eddy and Brettany have been on a date to the aquarium once shortly after Valentines' day. Eddy even managed to give Brettany a box of candy on "White Day" which was a month after Valentines' day on March 14th. This was of course after thorough guidance and coaching by his best friend Jordan. Eddy didn't initially even believe there existed a "White Day", he thought Jordan was telling fibs but to his astonishment, his sister Belle assured him that such a day actually did exist and should Eddy fail to gift Brettany a box of candy on this day he would end up being the most sacrilegious guy in his school. Even Yang casually reminded Eddy about White Day and Eddy was glad he was at least aware of the day thanks to Jordan.

So Eddy and Brettany were officially a couple now, though the nature of their coupling was rather unconventional. There was a lot of awkward talk between them to get where they were.

"Brettany, I don't know if I can be like a .. normal boyfriend to you."

"What do you mean, Eddy?"

"Actually, to be honest, I'm not sure what normal boyfriends are supposed to do for their girlfriends. All I know is I enjoy your company... But I get really nervous when we are alone. And I think it's because I'm actually too immature to have a girlfriend."

"So you don't think you are nervous because you actually like me..?"

"I do like you Brettany, I really do. I can't think of any other girl I know well enough to even decide whether I like them or not but I know I like you and I'm actually not shy to admit it. But I still haven't gotten over the idea that I'm really not boyfriend material because I'm still confused about everything...I suppose I'm too childish.  I'd understand if you think this sounds so stupid and I'm not worth..."

"Eddy, you are definitely not stupid and you're definitely worth it. I understand. We can still be like friends, right ?"

"Of course, Brettany.."

--------------------------------------------------

"So what's the story, Eddy? You and Brettany are... friends with benefits ?"

"What ??? OMG Jordan, I've read about that somewhere before. NO!!! Absolutely not..!!!"

"I'm joking Eddy. So... what are you guys?"

"We... um... we're a couple."

"Yeah, sure, like the total opposite of friends with benefits..a super platonic couple?"

"...I guess, if you put it that way.."

"So... you guys are just close classmates then?"

"Hmm... I suppose that's probably what we would appear like."

"And.. Brettany is okay with this?"

"Well... She said she understands."

"Eddy, she LIKES you, it's so f*cking obvious and you haven't made any moves on her?"

"No."

"Why not ?"

"Cos I'm not ready."

"WTF, don't you like her?"

"Yes, I do!!"

"But not enough to be her boyfriend?"

"It's just that if I call myself her boyfriend I feel this weird pressure that I have to do stuff I have no idea about and I feel so lost.."

"Hang on, back up. Did you say PRESSURE?"

"Yeah, I...."

"Why? I thought you liked her??"

"I don't know. Either I don't like her enough, which I don't think is the case, because I do like her. Or, I'm just too immature to handle this type of stuff."

"I don't get you Eddy. You're not shy to tell me that you like her, but you're shy about the idea of being someone's boyfriend? You're a 16 year old dude with raging hormones.....you're so... herbivorous? Asexual?"

"Maybe...who knows?"

"Or maybe it just hasn't hit you yet."

"...What's supposed to hit me?"

______________________________

"Bang !! Like a tonne of bricks, guys. We need to make an impact. So they're stunned wondering what the hell hit them!!"

"Yes, senpai."

"So the new students, the 1st years, their first day is tomorrow. We need to recruit as many 1st years as possible as they come through the school gates for the entrance ceremony.  Invite them to come along and watch us practice.  If we successfully make an impact, they'd want to sign up on the spot. Chen, do you know any fast runners from your junior high ?"

"There were a few in our track and field club but none of them are coming to this school"

"Bummer. Okay, so tomorrow I need all 2nd years to spread along the front, back and side gates of the school, greet the first years and their parents and give them our club flyer and invite them to our trial practice sessions. Ask for class and name if they say they can run fast, I wanna follow those up. If you see someone athletic looking, just grab details off 'em. I don't care what sport they used to play, people are often willing to switch sports in senior high."

"Yes senpai."