7. November: A wish come true

Eddy did end up joining the American Football Club, the AFC of his senior high school in November, 7 months later than his 1st-year peers. Be that as it may, he received a very warm welcome from his club members – everyone was so friendly and kind.

The practice was gruelling and challenging – physically, mentally and even intellectually. On the days he had practice, he would go home dead tired, almost starving to death and mentally drained out of his skull. It didn't help that going home was uphill... Still, he considered himself fortunate that he lived so close to his school, at least it was only a 15-minute bike ride.

As gruelling and stressful it was, Eddy loved it. He was smitten with his newfound love – the AFC and the brotherhood that came by joining them.

The intricate gameplay strategies fascinated him. The trust and honour each teammate held for each other were sacred and precious. Yang senpai was right in that there was no toxic senpai-kohai hierarchy forced upon him. Eddy genuinely respected all his senpais and showed his respect to all of them naturally. His high school days became so much more colourful because of the brotherhood he had joined.

"Hey Eddy, I've noticed you look so much happier these days."

Jordan commented.

Eddy smiled.

"I sure am."

"So... are you in love with Yang senpai yet?"

Eddy punched Jordan in the arm.

"Ow!!!"

"Will you just stop with that sh*t, Jordan. It's not like that. It's just not like that at all."

November was the time to compete for the regionals.

"We didn't make it last year so I'm hoping we can this year.. it's my last chance"

Yang explained to Eddy.

"The regionals start in May the following year and the preliminaries are in November. If my year is to play in the high school regionals next year, it's up to our current team, to make it happen."

Eddy so wanted to make it into the team to play. He wasn't sure if he could make it, though, since it was rare for a 1st year to make it into the regular team as there were so many club members and even 3rd years were still playing. Furthermore, Eddy had only joined up a couple of weeks ago.

Eddy just got changed into his gear and was about to leave the club room.

"Chen, I need to talk to you."

"Yes, captain?"

Eddy closed the door and went back inside where the club captain was.

"Look, I know you train really hard.."

"Thank you."

"But you've only joined up a couple of weeks ago and even though you're learning so fast.."

Eddy's heart sank but he thought what the captain was implying was fair.

"I understand, senpai. I'm much newer than the rest of the 1st years. I'm not chosen to play in the preliminaries.. they're only a week away. I understand. I'd still be happy just to watch from the spectator seats..."

"What? OMG Chen, that's not it at all."

Eddy looked up.

"It's not?"

"Heck no. You're starting on the bench but I definitely need you to learn all the other strategies by next week for the preliminaries."

OMG