chapter forty five

~Marley~

~Marley~

It felt weird to be unpacking her things into a room so new to her, it was as if this feeling of uneasiness was slowly starting to consume her as she looked around the four white walls. She had been thankful beyond words for Robin, but it still hadn't completely hit her that this was going to be her life now.

There wouldn't be anymore creaking stairs, kitchen cupboards falling apart at the seams. No more broken air conditioners or rooms that held so much pain it hurt to even look at the door. But with all the bad memories of that house, she still can't help the way her heart broke at the thought of never being there again.

Because now she wouldn't be able to keep track of Cole growing up, the small pen marks on the doorframe of her room now incomplete. She wouldn't be able to hear the sound of Luke's classic rock humming through the house as he got ready for work. It wasn't the same anymore, and it never will be.

It felt as though she had done it all for nothing. She had done everything she could to keep the house, to allow her brothers to have as much as a normal life as possible. But now, none of it mattered. The house would soon be gone, all of the things that they weren't able to pack would be sold. While the memories will last forever, the house she would call her own wouldn't.

"Where do you want these?" Harry asked as he held up the small stack of cards in his hands, holding them up slightly into the air.

The two had been sitting in her 'room' for some time now, going through the small bag of her personal items and figuring out where they wanted each thing to be placed. The first thing to be set up was of course her record player, being placed precisely onto the small table across from the bed. The vinyls found a home leaning next to it, The Beatles one showing first, being the easiest to put on.

She smiled at his words, noticing how careful he had been holding onto them. His large hands made the cardstock look miniscule, his thumb slightly tapping over the top one as he waited for her to respond.

"You can just put them over there," she said, nodding her head towards the empty spot near her record player.

He nodded his head, following her gaze to the table and placed the stack cards up. Trying to make them just the way she had them on her shelf at her home. He stepped back for a moment, taking a look at his progress before shaking his head, switching the one in front with the one behind it.

She laughed at the boy, before making her way next to him as she slipped her hand into his. "It looks great," she promised, standing on her tiptoes to kiss his cheek. "Thank you."

He turned his head to her, a small smile mirroring her own as he leaned down to place a kiss to her lips. She hummed softly into it, giggling slightly when he wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her close. The wind gently blowing into her room, causing the flowers on the window still to sway ever so slightly.