Chapter Five: Three's A Crowd

Tallethea

Three horses awaited our arrival, swaying and digging at the ground restlessly. Their tethers were loose and, if I hadn't known better, I would've expected them to slip away from the post. The evening air had made them skittish and eager for action, feelings I could sympathize with.

I had only been on this side of the castle once. It was an underkept alcove, tucked behind the palace that led straight into the forest. I imagine it is only used for hunts seeing how the lawn has gone unattended and the shade of the trees has permitted only fern like plants to grow. From where I was standing, I could make out a room toward the back of the castle with its curtains drawn, and just below it was the bay window of the library. Purple irises grew around the perimeter, along with clover that spilled from a small, gated garden, also abandoned to the elements. A weather worn statue of a woman was all I could see before the scenery submitted to brambles and thorns. Her eyes sad, and angry looking due to the grime crusting the inside corners of her brows. There was a crack that ran through one side of her face, no doubt some water had found its way in and froze, then broke the stone when spring came around. Regardless, the longer I stared at the statue the more unsettled I felt. So, I turned to my gear instead.

My hands gripped at my pack, touching each provision compulsively so as not to forget anything. I felt it only appropriate that I show up early in case the horses or anything else need tending. Even the Scout had not surfaced yet, but if the talk were true, he would be a monstrous sort of fellow. My last check proved efficient enough and I allowed myself to step away from the pack and pay my horse some attention. He nearly matched the clouds floating above the horizon, a pure white steed with a manicured mane and soulful black eyes. Apparently one who did not like his ears touched. Noted. I smiled a bit, as he shook my hand away with a grunt.

As the sun sank into the tree line so did a small part of my stomach. I hadn't let Mama say goodbye. It seemed too...I didn't think that it would be necessary. She understood, as always, knowing I was not very keen on sentimentality. So, she pulled me into a brisk hug, saying she would have something special for me when I got back. Now, part of me wishes I had told her I loved her, and although I still felt a farewell would be too big for the occasion, there are other ways to say goodbye.

The woods are dangerous. I know that. If they weren't Lansing would be able to frolic to the Summer Palace at his leisure. Yet, I didn't want that knowledge to settle at the basin of my stomach and grow rotten. I am guarding the Prince of Tuisedor for godssakes. I want the reality of danger to be what keeps me sharp and alert. It would be my device of concentration. That is if Lansing can resist blabbering on the whole time.

Heavy footsteps fell next to me and a shadow large enough to compete with the trees crossed my feet.

"Are you prepared?" The Scout's voice was deeper than I had expected, but there was a minuscule hint of friendliness behind the gravel.

He towered above me, his shoulders alone spanning half of my horse. Maybe it was all the armor he wore, but something told me underneath the gear was solid muscle. The dying light portrayed his hair as a sleek auburn with a pair of fierce green eyes to match.

"Monson?" I approached him by a single step and offered my hand, "I'm Tallethea."

He shook my hand curtly then took a moment to examine my horse, "So you are ready then?"

All I had a chance to do was nod at him before the Queen surfaced from the Castle with Arlyn and Lansing trailing beside her. Her face took on a somber attitude, the usual warmth in her deep brown skin gone nearly grey. Her regal posture faltered against the grief she carried, and mirrored the fierce expressions plastered on her sons' faces. My mother had looked the same way, and the thought of that made my heart constrict. However, the Queen's emotionality was lethal. She would be saying goodbye and it made me wonder if there was more to this situation than a few peeved politicians.

She stopped before getting to the horses, turning sharply to Lansing. Monson moved away from me, taking to securing his saddle and strapping whatever gear he had left to his horse. I tried to ignore the scene before me. There should not be witnesses to moments like this that aren't themselves participants. Still, I couldn't take my eyes away.

Turning to my horse I kept my head low.

The Queen caressed Lansing's cheek, speaking in hushed tones, then smoothed her thumb over his brow. I had only just noticed how upset he looked. His eyebrows drew in tightly and he had not once averted his eyes from his mother but rather beheld her with stony features. He looked angry...Perhaps he was regretting what he had done. Serves him right, causing trouble at such a time.

My eyes snagged on Arlyn who was already looking at me. I could tell exactly what was going through that head of his. Thank you. He seemed to say, dipping his chin as a small curve met his lips. I wished I could hug him. I would crack a joke, and maybe he would say how he will miss me. There was no time to speak between the meeting this morning and now. I had duties to attend to before packing and then Mama wanted to spend dinner together. Before I knew it, the sun was going down and I was staring at my best friend from a few yards away acting like a perfect stranger.

I permitted him a small smile as well, shrugging my shoulders. It's nothing.

The Queen dropped her embrace from Lansing, saying something else before patting his upper chest. Arlyn moved his eyes from me over to his brother. He smiled fully, mischievously tucking Lansing under his arm and pulling him into his chest. He scruffed up the blond mass of hair atop his brother's head before letting him go and saying something very pointedly. Lansing half grinned, passing a quick glance my way before winking at his brother with a reply. They hugged once more.

With that, Lansing kissed his mother's forehead and then trotted over to me. The Queen turned around to face me, and with a gracious nod, she found her regality again.

Lansing was already at my horse by then, "So, brave Tallethea, guardian of my person," He passed an amused look at my hair, " Daisy of my garden," I narrowed my eyes, but he continued with his speech, "What does a Squire have to do to get a horse around here?"

"His Highness needs only to turn around." I gestured to the sorrel mare tethered between Monson and I, "I've already checked her for you."

Lansing raised his eyebrow, humming as he stepped around me and found his horse, "Would you look at that." He ran his eyes over the packing and security of the saddle. He didn't even bother to double check my work. Just nodded his head, "I think I could get used to you after all."

The feeling is not mutual.

There was no point in me responding, and not wanting to lose any more of the faint light we had left, I simply untethered our horses, mounted mine, and started us off. It was only for a second, a single second, but in that fraction, I looked back at Arlyn.