Chapter 28

Chapter 28 is dedicated to loonyywriter and Vale282010 and Nargles07

Thank you for your support ❤
-----------------------------------------------------------

King Caden made no attempt mask his vexation as we filed into his office two days later. Ashton was beside me, tense and fuming, because we had wanted to visit CaVaughn as soon as we got back to Crysauralia, but the king insisted that we all come to his office first.

His green eyes followed Jun and the other squad leaders with displeasure as they went to stand in front of him. Kevin and the other guys sidled up beside us anxiously.

“I understand that the mission I entrusted you with has failed miserably.”

“Yes, your majesty,” Jun responded.

“And to top it all off, my son was injured.”

“Yes, your majesty.”

“Do you have anything to add?” the king asked Harlow.

“No, your majesty.” She sighed. “Looking back at the situation, I believe Jun made the right call. It was too bad, but we couldn’t beat them without the element of surprise on our side.”

“And you?” he asked Zayne.

“It’s as Harlow said,” he answered.

The king’s eyes trailed across everyone’s face and then landed on me. Great.

“Ah, Elizabeth. You got to see Malekh in action again. Was he really that much stronger than CaVaughn?”

I thought about the effortless way in which Malekh had managed to subdue CaVaughn. But then again, he had been protecting me. Maybe if I hadn’t been there…

“I’m not sure if he was much stronger… He was definitely strong enough to overpower CaVaughn in that moment.”

“Hmm… the odds would have been better if Jun was there like he was supposed to be,” the king frowned. “Where were you?”

“The guards I took down were stronger than I thought. There were a lot of them too. By the time I made it to them, Malekh had already left.”

The king narrowed his eyes and a heavy silence fell on the room.

“How many were there?”

“About eighteen.”

“And you couldn’t handle eighteen guards?”

Jun was silent and he stared at the ground.

“Look at me when I’m taking to you!” the king roared. “Eighteen guards gave you so much trouble?”

“Yes, your majesty.”

“I see. Let me ask you this, how many did you kill?”

“None.”

Harlow and Zayne glanced at him in disbelief. The room went silent again. The king chuckled lowly to himself, but the laughter didn’t reach his eyes, which were kindling with fury.

“So what you're telling me is that instead of killing them and carrying out your mission effectively, you wasted time fighting them?”

Jun sighed.

“The failure of this mission is your fault.”

“Yes, your majesty,” he mumbled.

The king closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. When he opened them again, his rimy gaze fell on Ashton. “I’m removing Jun from your cabinet. He won’t be your advisor anymore. From now on, he’s only under me and he will devote himself to his squad.”