51. Can devil become an angel again?

Start from the beginning

"It's okay. He's gone", I try to assure her that there's no place for fear, but I understand her.

If someone can understand her it's me. I fear his return. He as well as her father promised that he'd come back and make me pay. But his sentence is way too shorter than Chloe's dad will get. He is coming back. Soon. Really soon. And I still didn't think of what to do when he does. But, there's honestly nothing to be done. I have to be quiet and suffer in silence. I know I said that we have to stop the violence and walk away. But not every woman can do that. I'm brave when it's about someone's else life, but when it comes to mine... Then that bravery vanishes like ashes.

"Forgive me", she whispers.

"I already forgave you." I smile and she against her will lets go of my hand, while they put her in the ambulance car.

"Where are you taking her?", I ask them, before they climb in and close the doors.

"In St. Mary's Hospital", a woman quickly tells me as she closes the doors and the van disappears leaving me alone to stand in the middle of the crime scene.

A couple of police officers are still here like this was a murder and they are collecting DNA and traces.

A huge load has been lifted from my shoulders. She's still alive. I wasn't late. She didn't die. It's not my fault. One life has been saved even though I didn't arrive on time to save my mother's. Can I thank God now? I look at the sky which is clear with a few clouds. I wish the stars were there so I could find my mother's star. I prefer the night sky to the day's one.  Someones' hand touch my shoulder and I startle. When I turn around I found out it belongs to Myles.

"Calm down. You saved her."

Before I can realize what am I doing I threw my hands around his neck and bury my head in his chest. He hesitates for a moment but hugs me back. And even though I shouldn't I wonder how would it be if I could be forever in his strong arms. I bury my head further in his chest and the cologne smell surprises me. I didn't know that his smell was this good. No, Stella, put yourself together. He's your brother. Nothing more.

"I-I was so scared. If she died it would be my fault", I mumble, my face still buried in his chest. When I feel tears prick in my eyes I stop them. I quickly pull away, bowing my head to make sure that he doesn't see if I start crying.

"It wouldn't. Shh..." He wipes my cheeks even though I thought there were no tears. Guess they never leave me. Just like demons don't.

"T-they took her to St. Mary's. Can you drop me t-there?", I sniffle.

"Of course I can. Jump in."

My eyes are burning, but I still keep one of them open

My eyes are burning, but I still keep one of them open. All I see is darkness. All I feel is darkness. And all I hear is not silence, but the yells of my demons, which I'm trying to ignore. My hand is holding now an empty bottle of whiskey. It's burning in my throat and tummy, but I want more. I want to stop thinking and looks like one bottle isn't enough to help me with that. Looks like alcohol can't fix the fact that I'm goin' to become a real bastard. Bastard without a father, bastard with foster parents. I don't want 'em. But I don't know how I'm going to avoid DSS. How I'm going to avoid the truth. I don't want to accept it. But I can't avoid it. My demons keep reminding me, telling me I'm not worth it. It's not the first time they're trying to make me hurt myself. Like they're not hurting me, yet they want me to do it. They want my own hands to harm my skin. I can't do it. I'm not strong enough to do that. I don't want this life, but I'm not strong enough to make it stop.