꧂ Chapter 23

Start bij het begin

I nodded, but I'm almost absolutely sure that he already decided that he won't.

*****

My mom was cooking dinner, and dad and Junhyuk were watching TV when I get back home.

"Junhyuk, what time will they drop off Aera tonight?" Mom asked from the kitchen as I was on my way to my room.

"She's coming here?" Junhyuk asked back. It's strange that he doesn't know that piece of information. I slowed down to listen.

"Didn't she tell you?" Mom looked at him curiously and for a split second, Junhyuk seemed to think.

"I think she did." He said as he stood up and rushed towards his room, probably to get ready.

Aera arrived just after we had dinner. She already ate with her parents before they dropped her off. I was cleaning in the kitchen with my mom and I didn't expect her to come straight to where I am.

"I think Junhyuk's in his room." I said as I continue wiping the plates clean.

"Yeah. Anything I can help with?" She obviously dodged my statement and I became suspicious. When I turned to look at her, she was wearing her usual smile like there isn't anything weird at all.

"Oh why would you ask for things to help with when you're our guest?" Mom said. "You three should go out and have some dessert or something." She reached inside her pocket and handed me some money before she shooed us away.

I asked Aera to call Junhyuk while I get something from my room but she said she wanted to settle her things first so she followed me inside. It's already weird enough that Junhyuk hasn't come out yet since she arrived and now I think she's avoiding him too.

I didn't asked her about it and I was the one who knocked on my brother's door. "Hey, we're going out for dessert. You coming?" When he didn't answer right away, I knocked again. "Yah, Aera's already here."

"Maybe we should just go." Aera suggested but, right then, Junhyuk opened the door fully dressed.

"I want cheesecake." He said.

Usually, this is the time when Aera will say she wanted to eat something else but she remained silent as we walked out the apartment, down the elevator, and out the building. Aera remained by my side as we walked and Junhyuk followed a few steps behind. Halfway through, I couldn't take their silence anymore so I stopped and sighed. "Okay, tell me what's wrong."

"What?" Aera feigned innocent.

"Don't what me. You guys are weirdly quiet and it's driving me insane."

"That doesn't mean something's wrong." Junhyuk said.

When Aera looked at him, I knew she didn't expect him to say that.

"Yes, it does. Usually you guys will bicker the whole time but you haven't even said a word to each other since she arrived."

"Don't jump into conclusions. We're both just tired." Junhyuk walked past us and continued straight towards the cake shop.

I turned to Aera. "Got anything to say?"

She averted my eyes and I expected her to shake her head, but then she said. "We talked about high school applications."

I just nodded in understanding. I wanted to ask how it went but decided it will be better to talk about it later.

When we entered the shop, I asked them what they want. "We're eating here so you two find a seat while I order."