Fifty-Seven 🌑

My eyebrows creased together at the statement. 

"What are you scared of?" I asked her. 

"Heh. It's stupid," she said. 

I reached out to grab her forearm and turned her to me. 

"Nothing you ever talk about or think is stupid," I argued. 

Accalia raised an eyebrow, then. 

"I don't know...there have been occasions," she said. 

"Alia," I said. 

"Right, right," she said, "Ophelia, I worry so much about the people around me dying- about losing Fenn, losing my dad, just in the way that I lost my mum." 

I swallowed hard. 

"I think you would understand that more than anyone else," she said. 

I gave a nod of my head because I did. 

However, even though I had gone through a similar situation, I could never claim to know exactly how Accalia was feeling. 

All I could do was be there for her, when she was feeling down. 

"Ironic that I tried to end all of this, isn't it?" she asked me. 

I felt my heart hurt. 

"You're so cared for, Accalia. Even when you're struggling, you never should ever feel alone. You have me. You have your father, Fenn, uncle Z. You have so many people looking out for you. And I know that this world can be dark at times. It can make you feel alone and horrible...We are different but that's not to say that is a bad thing. I think it makes us special. This might no have been the way that I planned for my life to go, but I am glad that I am a wolf. I met you because of that very matter," I said. 

Accalia's expression softened at my words. 

"Ophelia..." she began to say, but I knew that I hadn't finished just yet. 

"This is why I try to stay as positive as I can be. Not only for my own sanity, but for others, too. For you," I said. 

There was soon a knock heard at the front door of Accalia's home and her father went to answer it. 

"Thank you, Ophelia," she said, "For always being there for me." 

I smiled back at her. 

"Uh, Ophelia, someone is here for you," Luka said. 

I turned then to find that my dad was here. 

Damn it. I guess I hadn't snuck out as well as I previously thought. 

He met my gaze and sighed. 

"Care to explain what's actually going on here?" he asked me, "I found ripped clothes in the forest on the way here...I thought that something had happened to you." 

Accalia gave me a sympathetic expression. 

"I'll explain everything," I said. 

Well, not everything. I would explain as much as I could. 

So, my father and I made our way outside of the Winters' residence and I turned to him with my best, most apologetic expression. 

"Dad, I'm a wolf. You're not going to believe that, but it's true," I said. 

His eyes widened at first and then he laughed out loud. 

"That's why my clothes were ripped in the forest. That's why I changed," I said. 

"That's why you've been out late?" my dad asked. His humoured expression swiftly evaporated. "That's why you haven't been home?" he added. 

I nodded. 

"I was going to tell you this, but...I didn't think you'd believe me. And before you think that I'm a crazy person, I can prove it," I swallowed hard and then willed myself to turn into a wolf again. 

Fortunately, Accalia had clued into what was happening and brought a spare pair of clothes with her. 

My father stumbled backwards in shock, as terror filled his eyes. 

However, when he met my gaze again, he realised who the eyes belonged to. He settled down a little. 

Accalia placed a hand on his shoulder to steady him. 

I turned back into a human and swiftly changed into the clothes that Accalia had brought for me, while the two of them turned their backs. 

"Does she do this a lot?" he asked. 

Accalia released a soft laugh. 

"Well, not all the time," she replied. 

When I was ready, I cleared my throat and the two of them turned back to look at me again. 

"You knew about this?" he asked, as he met Accalia's gaze. 

"I-" she paused. 

It was my turn to explain and I think she understood as much, as she locked eyes with me again. 

"She was one of the first people I told. I haven't been able to do this for long. I was scratched by a wolf, a while ago," I said. 

His eyes grew larger again and they reflected the light of the moon. 

"Well, Ophelia, I honestly don't know what to say. I'm surprised, but that's only an understatement," he said. 

I could understand that much. 

"However, I vow to never tell anyone. God knows what people would think if news about this got out. So- those wolves on the news?" he asked. 

"Werewolves," I said matter-of-factly, "I'm not the only one." 

"She's not," Accalia said, "Because I am, too." 

My dad looked between the two of us  and then appeared as though he was going to choke. His cheeks were red and he looked absolutely speechless.

"Fun surprise though, right?" I said, in an attempt to lighten the mood, "We're not dangerous, dad. This is simply how we are." 

He nodded, appearing convinced, though entirely short of breath. 

"Dad, I'm still the art-loving, math-failing daughter that you love. That's never going to change," I assured him. 

I couldn't help but start to overthink about what effect this was going to have on the rest of our relationship, but I knew that I had to trust that one way or another, the two of us would be alright. 

"Are you still going to go to university...become a banker, business owner, teacher or something?" he asked. 

"I plan to live as much of a normal life as I can," I said. 

Being a wolf was just a slightly unanticipated added bonus. 

He breathed out in relief, then, as his shoulders relaxed. 

"Alright, then," he said.