Thirty-Five 🌑

While Accalia went to talk to her father, I sat down on a seat next to Uma. 

"What's on your mind, Ophelia Amarilla?" she asked me, with a slightly amused expression. 

"Nothing much. My mathematics teacher let me know he was a wolf today, so that was interesting," I said casually, which caused Uma to release a short laugh. "How about you, Uma?" I returned. 

"Same old, same old. I guess Mr. Z told you, then," she told me. "Most of just call him Z here, though," she added. 

I nodded in understanding. 

"How long have you known?" I asked her. 

She appeared thoughtful for a short while, before she answered my question. 

"I've known since day one. I smelt it on him," she said, "I mean, at first i thought it was just some really cheap, tacky cologne, but then i realised. It doesn't matter, though. He doesn't pay attention to any of the girls around here." 

I elbowed her then. 

"Hey," she said, as mild irritation flickered in her eyes. 

"Uma, he's literally Accalia's uncle," I reminded her. 

"So? He's hot," Uma said simply, as she looked down at her nails. "Anyway, you might as well know more about me, considering I suppose we're sort of family, now." 

I turned to her with an expectant expression. 

"My name is Uma Lina Canis," she told me, "Fitting, right? My father picked out our surname. He's where I inherited my wolf-blood from. He died a short while ago, so I never really got to ask him many questions about my true nature. However, thankfully, Luka and Z have been a huge help," she said and as she mentioned them, her lips curled up at the corners in fondness. "Some people here call me Uma. Uziel occasionally calls me Lina. That occasionally makes me want to punch him...but I digress," she said, with a small smile upon her face. I knew that even if she complained about Uziel, she liked him really. The two of them were basically best friends. Her expression became more serious and she met my gaze again. "Anything else you need to know? Birthday? Star sign? I'm a Taurus," she told me. 

"Virgo," I replied easily.

"And I'm seventeen...though people tend to say I act older than I am. I wouldn't believe it for a second," she said. 

"Me neither," I blurted. 

At first, Uma rolled her eyes at that, but she soon smirked playfully at my comment. 

"You know, I'm glad you're a wolf, too, Uma. It's really good to have more than one friend here," I said with a happy smile. 

Uma's expression immediately became neutral again. 

"Who said we were friends?" she asked nonchalantly. 

I felt my eyes widen a little, as I stuttered, "I, uh-" 

"I'm messing with you. Of course, we can be friends. It's nice to have another girl here. I tend to get the feeling that Yara doesn't like me very much," Uma admitted. 

Yara could come across as being slightly intimidating, so I honestly couldn't blame Uma for feeling that way. 

"Plus, I'm sure that Accalia is glad that you're here, too. She's pretty much obsessed with you," she said. 

I felt my eyebrows lift up at that. 

"She is?" I asked. 

"She used to go on about you all the time until you showed up here, so I don't know- you tell me," she said. 

I felt my heart skip a beat again and felt my cheeks flush. I hoped that Uma couldn't detect my nerves too easily. 

I turned to Uma with a cheerful smile. 

"I thought I would feel like a complete outsider, here, but talking to you has really helped, Uma. So, thank you, I guess," I said. 

Uma looked tempted to give me another eye roll. 

"You're welcome, I guess," she replied. "You bring fun wherever you go. That's sort of why I was interested in becoming friends with you, when you first arrived to this shithole," she said. 

"Uma," Mr. Z scolded. 

Uma didn't look at him. 

His eyes locked with mine for a moment but instead of glaring at me, as I had expected, a faint smile appeared at his lips. 

He then walked into a different room, leaving Uma and I to continue to talk. 

At least, we did for a few moments before Luka stepped out to join us with Accalia. 

Uma and I stood up as a gesture of respect. 

"Hi Luka," Uma said with a kind smile. 

"Hello, Mr. Winters," I said. 

"Ophelia, please. You can call me Luka, too. You're a member of this tribe, too," he reminded me. 

I smiled at that. 

I was glad that I was still considered a member, even though I knew I must've broken so many rules in telling Kate. 

At least that hadn't caused a rift to form between Accalia and I. 

"Ophelia, may I speak with you?" Luka inquired. 

"You may," I said, with a pleasant expression in response to his question, as the two of us made our way into a separate room. 

Luka sat down in his seat and gestured for me to sit down in the one opposite him. 

"I assume you are aware that some of your dear friends and professor are also wolves, by now," he told me. 

"Yes, Luka," I replied. 

He smiled at me and gave a brief nod of his head. 

"Good, good. It is good for you to become well-acquainted with the others, especially considering you are one of us, now, Ophelia," he said. 

"Even though Kate knows?" I said without thinking. 

His eyes grew a fraction larger, in response to my question. 

 "Even in that circumstance, I am sure that Kate is a good girl who you can trust," he told me. 

I liked to think so. 

"And I fear I would simply be a bad leader if I cast you out for revealing your secret to someone you believe you can trust. That would make me seem as though I didn't trust you, Ophelia, which of course I do," he said. 

I smiled at that.