Chapter 29 - A game of dare

Začať od začiatku

It made me remember. Tadeo had done the same the first time he jumped. Zephyr was quick to pull the net down, making it easier for his brother to climb off. "Did everyone see that, because I will not be doing that again anytime soon." Tadeo whispered, pale as a sheet. His brother laughed louder and gave the flask back to him. "Your turn." He encouraged his brother.

I laughed at the sight as Tadeo took a sip, but then someone stepped up behind me. I didn't have to look to know who it was. Eric. His elbow brushed against my back, letting me know he was right there behind me. A small gasp left me, and I involuntarily stepped aside, but no one noticed because Tadeo had decided on the next dare. "Zep—I dare you to stand in front of the target while the least drunken dauntless throws three knives at you." He grinned mischievously.

"Consider it done." Zephyr grabbed the flask from Tadeo and took a large sip before turning towards the plywood target. I swallowed, dread settling in my stomach. The least drunken dauntless—that would probably mean me. But Eric stepped forth before I had even thought the thought and grabbed three knives from the nearby table, where they were placed out as if they were ready for use. I watched him spin one between his fingers while Zephyr makes himself comfortable in front of one of the targets.

"A flinch, you drink." Eric smirked, pointing a finger at him. The dauntless in front of the target, tilts his head back and rest it comfortably against the plywood. Eric then slowly turns, positions himself and spin the knife between his fingers, then he throws it. The tip buried itself in the plywood, mere inches from his right ear. But Zephyr flinched rather roughly. Eric laughs loudly. We all do. He's loosened up and beckons for the flask. Ezekiel throws it to him before he throws it to Zephyr.

The dauntless group is still laughing while Zephyr drinks. Then Eric ready himself again and spins another knife between his fingers. When he throws, it lands even closer to Zephyr, but the man doesn't flinch this time. Eric's brows furrowed together before he readied the last knife. It spins comfortably on his fingers before he grasp it and throw the object, hurling it at the target with even greater force than the previous two times.

The knife hits the plywood between Zephyrs legs, dangerously close to his crotch. This time he flinched again and rose to his toes before pushing away from the plywood target. "What the hell! No need to scar me for life!" He growled at Eric but it's barely loud enough to hear over the roar of laugher. Even Eric smiles and I cannot stop myself from looking at him. It suits him. He doesn't look as constricted by the expectations of the leader role.

Once Zephyr had gotten over Eric's throw of knives, he pushed the next challenge onto Calix, daring him to spare with a dauntless I didn't know. He had pointed at two people fighting in the pit after we had moved there. There weren't many in here but enough to send us a few gazes, or mostly Eric. It wasn't hard to see that most feared him.

I felt bad for him. The constant pressure and expectations of the faction was crushing him, that much even I could see. Calix had taken the challenge without a doubt and we all moved to down into the pit. At one point Eric steadied me on the steep stairs going down, hands had grasped my waist and kept me upright. None had seen but I still felt the heat rise to my cheeks.

Calix challenged the intended person to a duel, and we all settled ourselves on one of the rocks nearby. On purpose I sat down next to Eric who had leaned against it first, arms and feet crossed comfortably. Even he looked cheerful now. While Calix fought the other dauntless, I was sure Ezekiel and the others emptied two more alcohol canisters. I got a few sips and was already feeling lifted, lightheaded, and happy. Not that I showed it, or I hoped that I didn't.

I had been watching the fight and a little too soon Calix was overturned, forced to his knees as the other held him in a headlock just like Valentine had done to Eric one of the first times I had seen him. But as I was looking at the sight, I noted from the corner of my eyes that Eric was watching me, not as inconspicuously as I had wanted. I turned back to him when Calix tapped out. He smiled and I returned it. Then the flask was thrown to Eric. "I dare you to fight Octavia." Calix laughed, clearly having seen where our eyes lingered.