Chapter 51

Ivy Moore

~~~~~~~~~

I slowly walked along the sidewalks on the side of the almost empty street, I pulled my hood over my long black hair and my hands were stuffed into the pockets of my sweater. I felt the warm breeze hit my face gently, the sounds of insects fled my ears as I looked up at bright stars. It was 2 in the morning and I couldn't sleep. I left a note on the kitchen counter for Elenor, telling her I was going out for a bit and that I'd be back. I finally got away from all the trees and the cliff, it kept reminding me of the last time I saw Paxton. His painful screams, him telling me that even after all my mistakes he would forgive every time. It made me feel selfish that I left him on that cliff, but I didn't want to let him die. I was supposed to die, none of this was supposed to happen. I walked around and tried to see if I could find anything about Paxton, if he was alive. I looked for newspapers, signs, maybe something on TV. But I couldn't find anything, not a single clue. I gave up on looking and sat on the curb as I watched a few cars pass by.

He was gone. It was all my fault, I let this happen. I should've let him jump with me. What was wrong with me?

I placed my head in the palm of my hands and let out small sobs.

I'm a terrible person.

~~~~~~~

I sat next to Lucas on the living room couch as he read me a book of some sort of animal, I was barely paying attention because I kept thinking about Paxton.

How was I gonna find out if he was alive or not? Should I ask people about him?

I got up from the couch and walked over to Elle who was in the kitchen cooking us lunch.

"Hey Elle, is it okay if I went out for a bit?" I asked her.

"Are you sure? I just made lunch." She tells me.

"Yeah, I just have to do a few things. I'm not that hungry yet." I state.

She nods and smiles at me.

I grab my sweater and pull my arms through it.

"Bye Lucas." I say as I walk out the door.

I walked through the trees until I reached the road, it was crowded with cars. I walked further down until I reached the street that had a few stores nearby. I passed by a bunch of people but I kept my head down and made sure I didn't make any eye contact with anyone. I finally reached the hair salon and walked in, it wasn't that crowded. I walked to the front desk and the lady smiled at me.

"Hello! Are you here for a haircut?" She asks.

I nod.

"Follow me." She tells me.

I follow her down the seats of people getting their hair done. She stops at an empty seat in front of a giant mirror. I take a seat in the chair and the lady smiles at me through the reflection of the mirror.

"What do we want to do today?" She questions as she runs her fingers through my hair.

"Can you cut it up to here? And add some layers." I gesture my hands right below my shoulders.

"Of course." She tells me.

She grabs a giant black cloth and wraps it around my neck, covering my whole body. She begins to spray my hair with water and it becomes damp.

I watch her grab the scissors and start cutting the tips of my hair.

I bit my lip and closed my eyes, if I was gonna walk around this city looking for Paxton I had to make sure no one would recognize me.