"Oh yeah. That was a great party."

Luke nodded. "I think the whole college showed up."

Adam grinned at the memory. He appreciated Luke's attempt at cheering him up, but it wasn't going to change the hell his life had just become. His mother believed he spent far too much time drinking and whoring his way around campus the last few years. It was time to buckle down and become a real, respectable man. A man who could carry on the family name with honor and dignity. A man his father would be proud of.

"Once the semester begins tomorrow, you won't see much of me." Adam felt like he was cursed.

"Oh come on! Your mom just can't hide you behind these walls."

"She can, and she has."

"Well, can't we find you a tutor? One who needs to help you on ... say a Saturday night?"

Adam couldn't hide his laugh. "And where will we find this tutor?"

The fire in Luke's eyes diminished as they faced reality. There was no way they were going to find someone who would also back them in any cover story they might need. Deacon was the smartest of the group, but his mother would see right through it. The school's tutors were out of the question. It would be far too easy for the Dean to check in anytime. He would just have to face the fact that he couldn't have both worlds.

"What about Clara?" Luke asked, his tone too eager for Adam's taste.

"What about her?"

"Oh come on! Don't you see it? We're all friends. You said she's here on a full scholarship." Luke paused as if he was waiting for Adam to catch on. "She's perfect. Work your magic on her. See if she'll tutor you. Although frankly, you wouldn't need a tutor if you just tried."

"I doubt she would go for it," Adam said, ignoring Luke's last statement.

"And why not? As far as I can see, she is your best bet to keep your mom happy and still enjoy this year. What do you have to lose?"

Adam didn't want to share the disgusted look Clara gave him at the opening game. "I don't know, man."

"Well, I do. So stop pouting and get your act back together. I need you this year, and I'm not going to spend the next months trying to cheer your mopey ass up."

"Fine. I'll ask her."

Truthfully, he wasn't sure if he would. One thing was for certain; he needed to show his mother he was more than the reputation that hovered over him. He just wasn't positive Clara would willingly be his scapegoat.

* * *

The over-excited students entering Adam's Creative Writing class made him want to hurl. Anyone glancing his way would realize he had no desire to be there. Then again, why would he be excited about a class he'd already taken?

Slowly, he found a spot towards the back of the classroom. He hated being back in the familiar seats. It was the same class that ended his reign as party king. Not that it was a hard course to take. But Adam had felt his studies were best focused elsewhere, like in social environments with a strong drink in his hand. He was great at making connections, and who better to connect with than his beautiful classmates?

Sinking into his chair, Adam sketched useless marks in his notebook. He only took the course as an easy elective, and he found it even simpler when the teacher's assistant proved to be ... well ... easy. This time around, Adam didn't even check out the prospects. He knew there would be no point. Instead, he stared at his notebook as the teacher began.

"It can entertain as well as connect personal thought and emotion and share human experiences. It can be a poem or a story or even a song. But above all, it's a form of art," a familiar voice said.