2

Spring, 1936

"If you keep starin, she's gonna think you're a creep" The smaller man laughed, definitely not amusing his friend.

"Leave it out, punk" The taller friend said, shoving the friend to infuse his point.

"One of these days, you're gonna have to ask her out!"

The taller guy knew deep down, the little punk was right. Now age 19, he had been completely infatuated by the girl since he could talk.

She was over getting the food, leaving the two best friends to chat whilst grabbing them their lunch. She stood, emerald green dress flowing only slightly, as the wind wasn't every present that day due to the good weather.

The little food stall had been the spot in Brooklyn that the three friends frequently visited, a home away from home type of deal. She grabbed the usual order, one in which the stalls employees knew by heart at this point, and headed to the little picnic bench to pass the food out.

"You are miracle worker, Sofia" The tall man laughed, the little one joining in.

"Well Buck, it is your money, so your the real miracle to me.." She said, sitting down and fixing her dress before starting on her meal.

"Well boys, dive in"

The sun had come out that day, opening up all sorts of opportunity's for the day ahead. The group who were friends since they could walk, would make a sort of weekly tradition to come out here, get together and laugh. Ever since they finished school they were seeing less of each other, most likely the reason for this tradition.

She was a telephone operator, connecting calls and keeping the US communication system a float. Even though she had only been out of school for less than a year, the two boys as well, she didn't miss it. The girls would always comment on her friendship with the boys asking when the wedding was. Her real dream was in the realm of science, even though it was a long shot. But dreams offer do have a way of sorting themselves out.

In Sofias mind however, she wouldn't mind knowing when her wedding was to someone everyone called her friend. Not that she would ever tell anyone, but she had developed feelings for one Bucky Barnes.

It was tiring however, she was on the verge of asking him on a date herself, not that doing so would appear very lady like to everyone around her. But at this point, why would she care what was lady like, she just wanted to see if this was a relationship worth pursuing.

Bucky had a car, the old rust bucket wasn't much, but it could get them where they needed to be. Today, it was warm and sunny for the first time since last summer, the bucket of rust would deliver them to the beach for a day in the sand.

"Gorgeous day , wasn't it Buck?"

We were both said in the roof of his tin can, watching the sun slowly lower. Steve was off buying ice-cream to finish the day of in a tasty way and so it was just the two of them, watching the world go by.

"Not as gorgeous as you.." He said, slowly wrapping his arm around her and allowing her head to drop to his shoulder.

"You complementing me, I bet your other gal's won't like that.." She said, eyes still fixed on the now setting sun.

"I don't have any other gal's, only you and thats all a guy could ask for.."

He was running his hand through her hair, holding her tightly before she decided to ask hm what he meant.

"What might you mean by, 'all a guy could ask for'.." She said whist sitting up, looking to him in they eyes.

"Well I-"

He started talking but quickly cut himself off, breaking the eye connect we held and looking at his feet.

"Come on Barnes, what on your mind?"

She leaned down, moving her head next to his, attempting to regain eye contact with him.

"Well its guess that-"

He flung his head back up, trying to push the words out while Sofia still sat there, very confused.

"I've wanted to ask you.."

"Come on Buck, spit it out already-"

"I wanna take you out!"

The words came out quicker and louder than Bucky expected them too. Sofia was sort of shocked, not knowing what to say to him.

"Oh god, I've scared you! I'm such an-"

She took the impulsive move to kiss him. She grabbed him by the cheek and pulled him in, his lips meeting hers. Bucky was complexity throw off, not expecting that what so ever.

"You kissed me.."

When she pulled away, Sofia saw the shocked smile on Bucky's face.

"Oh no, I shouldn't have-"

Mid panic, Bucky pulled her in to kiss her once more. They both sank into it, he moved his hand to her face. She wrapped his arm around him, holding him tightly. It was something they both wanted for years and now they had each other, not wanting to let it go.

"So I know you wanted chocolate but-"

Steve had turned to look up at us, dropping his jaw and words at the sight he had just witnessed. His little squeal was what alerted them both to pull away and explain themselves.

"You finally did it Buck!" He said, almost jumping with joy.

"Eh-"

"You told Steve, before you bothered to tell me?"

She laughed at his stupidity, while he awkwardly scratched the back of his head, nervously giggling to himself.

"He never has your name out of his mouth, I'm glad to see he finally stepped up and asked"

Steve passed out the ice cream and Bucky helped him on top of the cars roof to join us in watching the sun.

"So, when's the wedding?" Steve said, once he was up beside us.

"Lets have a date first, before we have our May wedding.."

"May wedding? So you have thought about me in that way?" Bucky laughed, draping his arm around me once more.

"I might have.."

"A May wedding it is.."