"How will we get back to Earthe?" I ask, an uneasy feeling starting to rise at the thought. I can't leave Knox stuck here, and I need to go back to help with the war.

Knox's jaw works for a moment.

"There are elves who live on Earth. Some might have transport stones we can borrow."

"What- why would elves choose to live on Earth?" Earthe seems like a much better option. Knox shrugs.

"No clue, but some do. Few, but I know there are some in California."

"Would we be able to get there in time to get back to Earthe for the war?"

"Hopefully."

"Okay... So when we get to my school, nobody is going to know you." The thought of Knox walking down a hallway in my high school almost makes me laugh. "So you should stay outside while I look inside for it."

"You'll draw attention too," Knox says, "you've been gone for weeks. I should go in with you."

"But you can watch outside for anything-"

He shakes his head. "Then I wouldn't be with you. What if the Cin get in?"

"To my school?" I had forgot they could be following us still. The thought makes me shiver. "They wouldn't hurt me in front of a huge group of kids, they wouldn't risk being seen."

"You never know," Knox says, and he suddenly sounds a bit anxious. He's giving me a look I've never seen before. He looks... Confused, almost. "I should just go in with you in case anything happens."

"Knox, nothing is gonna happen-"

"But something could. Look at what happened yesterday, you could have died! I could have walked into that bathroom and you could've been dead." His voice breaks at the end of his sentence, his face showing all the emotions beneath.

This does not sound like Knox. I give him a look, trying to shift my body on the bed as it sinks beneath my weight. His eyes look far away for a second, like he's thinking really hard.

"But I didn't. I handled it."

"What if there are more than one? They're more trained than you, Mia, they could hurt you or worse-"

"Okay, I get it," I say sharply, a bit of anger from my shower and earlier today that I'd tried to stamp out flaring up. Why is he suddenly being like this? And I was just thinking about how he always trusted me. "Do you not trust me now or something? What's going on? Why would you even suggest talking about tomorrow if this is what you meant?"

Knox looks taken aback. "No, of course I trust you-"

"Then why are you getting so worked up about me not being able to handle myself?" I ask, standing up. Knox stands up as well, looking the tiniest bit angry, and scared, if I'm interpreting his expression right. Why would he be scared?

"No, it's not about that, just if something happens to you-"

"That's not your responsibility, if I get hurt it's not your fault. Just trust me to do something on my own."

Knox blows a hard breath out of his nose.

"I trust you, Mia! I just don't-"

"Think I can handle myself?" I ask, feeling the nerves from our previous conversation and the anger from this one starting to overwhelm me. I take a breath.

"I am perfectly capable of doing something on my own. And what's up? You're suddenly acting all 'I need to go with you. I can't leave you alone for one second.' Yes, I might get hurt."

✧The Earthe of the Elves✧जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें