|1.| was is it fate?

Start from the beginning

No, instead you ran to the small store to the right of you. Even if it was little in size, the columns and columns of useless newspapers and postcards gave you exceptional coverage as you decided to hide. The small postage store was perhaps the most useless and deserted in the mall. It hardly got any business anymore, not once had you seen anyone in here besides the employee. If money was what they wanted, they wouldn't find it here.

The postal store was attached to a small room that was also connected to the store next door. It was a small antique vinyl shop, where only occasional tourists or hippies would go. Still, you couldn't risk it. You leaned your head against the wall and closed your eyes, a pounding migraine hitting your head as you breathed heavily. Your body was not in the right state for this shit- your nose was stuffed, so unless you wanted to alert the whole world where you're hiding, you had to breathe through your mouth.

You moved your head to look around- there was still absolute chaos outside, but it was quieter, you could even hear the sobs as people begged for their lives before they were forever silenced. You felt tears sting your eyes but you knew this wasn't the time to cry. You had to get out of here alive- you had to tell the story. Policemen have been trying to catch these bastards for months, but they never left any leads whatsoever.

No cameras ever caught them. No gun was ever left behind. And most importantly, no survivors either. They were notorious for their precisely planned attacks and clean getaways.

Now was not the time to dwell, you needed a plan. You ran a hand through your loose hair strands and struggled to think clearly.

"Pst." Your heart leaped out of your chest and turned to the direction of the sound. It was a woman your age; she held her lip up to her mouth and motioned you over to where she was. She sat underneath the checkout counter, her small yet plump features looking at you behind the corner. You paused and contemplated your options. It was risky to move across the room to her since the desk was right next to the door and the wall was mostly a window, but you decided it was worth a shot.

You slid across the floor soundlessly and appeared next to her. You never thought you'd find comfort seeing such a stranger, but once you took in her dark complexion and her beautifully thick hair, you felt just a tad safer.

"I pressed the button," She whispered to you, her voice shaking ever so slightly as she pointed to the button above your heads, under the countertop. You recognized it as the security button. "The policeman should have been alerted but..." You saw her gulp audibly. "He was shot a few moments ago."

Your breath hitched in your throat. "What should we do?" You asked, trying your best not to sound more scared for her sake. You could hear quiet murmurs and thought that there were enough people dead for the killers to speak to the others now.

"I..." She looked down at the floor. "I don't w-wanna die..." She mumbled before putting her face in her hands, shaking slightly as you saw tears drip down her arm. You rubbed her back, not entirely emotionally available to comfort someone at the moment.

"Hey, it's okay... we'll be okay." You said and hushed her quietly. You seriously needed to get out of here. "Where did he die?"

"The guard?" She asked sniffling, and you cringed, afraid of being too loud. "J-Just outside, I saw h-him..."

"Okay, listen..." You shifted your weight onto your other ankle. "I'll get us his gun, okay?"

"Are you crazy!" She whisper-shouted, her eyes wide and panicked as she looked at you. "You'll get killed... they'll kill you too!"

You chewed the inside of your cheek. You knew that, but you couldn't think about it. Or else you might not ever get a good chance. Just as you opened your mouth to speak, the voices became clearer and hushed you both.