sixty-six || ticking time bomb

Start from the beginning

   "How do you...how did you know that?" I rasped out through my dry and scratchy throat.

   "Finley, have you not been able to gather yet that I know everything?" He asked incredulously. 

   I huffed in annoyance as I flew down the straightaway, Harry's car getting closer and closer to me from behind with every antagonizing second that passed. But if I am being quite honest, I cared more about not wrecking than I did about winning.

   A sudden burst of confidence ran through my veins as I spoke. "Alright, Harvey. So, you know a lot about me. Now, why don't you stop playing these stupid fucking games and tell me the purpose of this conversation?" I snapped, throwing the car into a higher gear and beginning the process of passing Grant and taking the third position in the race.

   "Is it so wrong of me to want to just talk to a pretty girl like yourself?" He pouted through the phone.

   I let out an aggravated breath of air, causing him to chuckle in reply.

   "Okay, maybe I just wanted to make sure you didn't...slip up, or anything," he hummed, and just as I was about to ask what he meant, my headlights caused a reflection on the third and sharpest turn of the track.

   Was that...was that water?

   "It appears that the track has a drainage pipe issue! How strange! Well, I certainly hope this doesn't affect your driving, Ms. James," he mused, sounding quite proud of himself.

   It was then that I realized what he was trying to do.

   He was trying to recreate Willie's death...with me. 

  At this point, I wasn't scared...I was irate. 

   "Something about this whole situation just feels familiar...I'm not sure why...maybe Harry knows," he offered, and I wished nothing more than to smack this son of a bitch right across the face.

   I was coming up on the turn fast, and before I could speak for myself, I silently prayed that all of the other drivers had seen the water as well.

   "It does seem familiar, Harvey! Except, there is a slight difference in this situation," I replied back cooly, gripping my fingers tight on the wheel and preparing myself for what was to come.

   He scoffed into the speaker before replying to me. "And what might that be, Finley?"

   A smirk spread across my lips as I approached the beginning of the turn.

   "I actually know how to drive on a wet track."

   Before he could even reply, I was already determining the best driving line on the wet asphalt, following the lead of the cars in front of me who seemed to have picked up on the sudden interference at the last second.

   After that, I made sure to steer intentionally, not allowing the undesirable circumstance to make me jeer the wheel in the wrong direction. I gave the car a little bit of throttle as I hit the apex of the turn, and even though the tires on my car were notorious for being slick when driving on water, I managed to slowly drift through the tight hairpin turn, swinging my car outwards at the end of the pool of water, and then sharply bringing it back to the center of the track. 

   I glanced in the rearview to see if anyone had been hurt by the water and winced when I saw the Koenigsegg lose their traction, but luckily, instead of crashing into one of the cement barriers, they managed to slow their car to a stop on some of the gravel on the inside of the road course, some smoke rising from their tires from the struggle to gain traction.