eleven || gum on the bottom of my shoe

the song for this chapter is "What I Know Now," by THEY. :)

***********

You still hear every word that they say
But these days they ain't making no sound
You still had me thinking I'm crazy
Wish I knew then what I know now

***********

Finley

  Alex's words made me blush.

   I waved him off dismissively. "You're crazy," I laughed.

   "And you're crazy good at driving. I'd love to race you myself...I kind of think you might beat me," he laughed, and I was shocked that his ego didn't seem to be bruised by his statement as most men would. 

   "You're extremely talented Finley. You'd be a real threat to a lot of the men that drive in these races," Tommy added, glancing down at my lap times again and shaking his head in disbelief. 

   I almost couldn't even allow myself to imagine that possibility. Me...a driver. I would scream out yes, yes, a million times yes...if I didn't think that getting more involved than I already was would possibly put my life at stake.

    "Maybe I should just stick to helping on the headset," I mumbled, looking down at the tops of my scuffed white sneakers. 

   I looked back up to see that their faces had softened.

   The look on Tommy's face told me he knew something was up, and so, he clapped his hands together and put on a big grin.

   "Finn, why don't you take five...Alex...go inside and call out one of our guys to help you with the gas, let's refuel and then get your ass back in the car," he instructed.

   Alex nodded and went over to the little office area of the course to retrieve one of their pit crew members, and as soon as the door closed behind him, Tommy turned back towards me.

  "What's bothering you?" He asked sincerely.

 I bit at my lip, hesitating for only a moment because I knew it wouldn't take long for Alex to get back out here.

   "Who do you guys work for? Who is the big bad wolf of your lives? I just...I feel like I'm getting involved in something that goes much deeper than a bit of illegal street racing," I sputtered out rapidly. 

  His face fell slightly at my questions, and he pursed his lips together tightly.

   "Finley, I will tell you what I can...but first...are you sure you even want to know? Ignorance truly can be bliss, I know that from experience," he laughed sadly.

  I sighed. "I don't really want to know...but I'm involved now...you said it yourself, I'm a part of this thing...I'm getting paid just like any other person who works these things. And believe me, the money would help me out a ton...but is the payment worth the price?" I challenged, raising a curious brow at him.   

   Tommy nodded his heads at my words, seeming to be pondering them a bit before he could form a reply.

  "You just...you might look at us differently after this," he sighed, scratching at the back of his neck.

     "After what?" Alex asked, walking up with one of their crew members.

  Tommy pinched his eyes shut and let out a sigh, before opening them again and turning towards Alex.