twenty-six || welcome to the show

the song for this chapter is "Memories of the Melancholy," by BLESSED :)

***********

I'm not the same
Person that I was last week
Lately, I've been getting no sleep
Lately, I've been having no dreams
It's just a blackout

***********

Finley

   When we got to the house I had been to so many times before, each time leaving me wanting less and less to do with it and its occupants, Harry parked my car in the garage. I didn't bother asking why, but I assumed he was trying to hide the fact that I was here just in case someone who would start asking questions decided to stop by.

      Wordlessly, he got out of the car and shut the door behind him, he began walking towards the door, but stopped once he realized I hadn't moved. 

   I meant to, truly, but it was like my body was trying to protect myself without me even realizing it. I was just frozen. 

     Harry spun around and glanced at me, but my eyes were fixed on the dashboard in front of me, looking at it like it was the most interesting thing in the world. Anything to avoid making eye contact with Harry.

   He sighed and began walking back towards me, spinning my keys around in his fingers as he walked.

    He stopped next to the door and pulled it open, waiting for me to meet him halfway.

     Nothing.

 Without a word, he bent down over me, reaching his arm down towards the seat belt buckle. His gold cross chain dangled in front of my face as he did so, and his familiar scent found its way up my nose, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration as he fiddled with the buckle, pushing it down firmly to release it, and before the metal buckle could fly back and possibly hit me in the face, he caught it with the other hand, briefly staring into my eyes as he moved it off of my shoulder. 

   When my brain still refused to communicate to my muscles to stand up, Harry stuck out a large hand in my direction, wiggling his fingers in between mine and giving my hand a light tug.

   Finally, my body complied, out of options to procrastinate this any longer. I stood up, but Harry's hand remained in mine, probably worried that the second he let go, my body would just go limp on the ground. 

    As we entered the house, I was disappointed to find that it was, perhaps for the first time ever, completely empty.

  But despite the vacant household and various locations where we could talk, Harry still pulled me along with him as we made the familiar route up to his bedroom. 

   When we reached the door, he used his free hand and reached two fingers into the back pocket of his jeans that didn't contain our phones, wiggling them into the denim and pulling out the gold key to his room.

    He twisted the key into the lock, pushing the door open and pulling me in along with him. 

 The second that he let go of my hand, he pushed the door closed again, wasting no time in flipping the lock shut, practically taunting me with the fact that I couldn't leave, even though I so desperately wanted to. 

   Harry spun around to look at me, and I think this is one of the first times I had ever been this vulnerable around him. There were no sarcastic comebacks, no bold actions, no fearless attitude. There was just me, standing in front of him, crossing one arm over my chest to nervously rub at the other, lips pressed together so tightly that I am sure they lacked any trace of color, and throat so dry that no amount of nervous gulps would aid me in any way.