𝐔𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐖𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 | 𝐀𝐥𝐞𝐱𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫

🚧 rewritten 11/11/2023 🚧

Happy Reading!

In the depths of slumber, Alexander was abruptly awakened by the blaring alarm, his senses instantly assaulted by the throbbing ache in his head and the rawness in his throat. A surge of panic coursed through his veins as he realized he had overslept, his heart pounding in sync with the ticking clock.

With a resolute determination, he propelled himself out of bed, his body feeling heavy and sluggish, as if it were weighed down by an invisible force. The room was cast in a dim, ethereal light, casting elongated shadows across his disheveled figure. Every step towards the bathroom was a laborious endeavor, his legs wobbling beneath him.

In front of the mirror, Alexander's reflection revealed a pallid complexion and weary eyes, the telltale signs of his illness. A sigh escaped his lips, a mixture of frustration and resignation, as he acknowledged that he couldn't afford the luxury of rest. He cupped his hands under the cool stream of water, splashing it onto his face in an attempt to rejuvenate his fatigued body. The droplets cascaded down his cheeks, momentarily soothing his fevered skin.

As he hastily dressed in his attire, Alexander's movements were a blur of frenzied buttoning, zipping, and tying. His trembling hands rummaged through drawers, seeking solace in the form of tissues and cough drops, his constant companions in this battle against his persistent sniffles and coughs. The raspy sound of his breaths reverberated in the room, a haunting reminder of his weakened state.

With a final glance at the clock, Alexander's heart skipped a beat. Time was slipping through his fingers like grains of sand. He snatched his bag, stuffing it with essential documents and a thermos of steaming tea, a feeble attempt to find comfort amidst the chaos. His body protesting with every movement. How would he make it through the day?

Outside, the world seemed to be moving in a frenetic blur, a symphony of hurried footsteps and honking horns. The sun timidly peeked through the clouds, casting a golden glow upon the bustling streets. People rushed past him, their faces etched with determination and purpose. Alexander joined the current, his strides quickening as he deftly maneuvered through the sidewalks.

He hurried into the his place of work, the building in which seemed empty the majority of the time. There is when he stumbled paths along Washington. Reaching into his bag abruptly, he yanked out documents in which were secured inside a folder.

"Good Morning Mr. Washington. I was able to complete the assessments you assigned yesterday. Now I'm ready.." Alexander was cut off by a contagious sneeze, which he thankfully caught in his sleeve.

"-My apologies, see I finished. Now I'm ready for the next course." Washington merely scanned the younger skeptically. Examined the sweat on his sticky forehead, the way Alexander's face was severely flushed. Or perhaps the bright redness in his eyes, along with the puffiness.

"Alexander are you... sick?" Washington queried resting his cold hand, against his employee's temple.

"Well sir, you see I may have come down with a little something. But I'm well enough to work." Hamilton reassured with a smile, before breaking out into a fit of coughs. Which, once again was protected by his elbow. Washington narrowed his eyes, his facial expression glum. Next, he spoke out in his day to day nonchalant tone.

"You're coming to rest in my office." Washington instructed as he turned away, expecting Alexander to do the same.

"But sir I-" The Caribbean about to protest.

"Now Alexander." His command wasn't in a fury of anger, although he wasn't polite either. He instructed sternly, alike to his general days. Alexander lowered his head, catching on to all the glaring eyes. The employee's the ones who judged, or were mocking the younger Caribbean. However, Washington was quick to notice Alexander's embarrassed, flush face.

"All of you, mind you business." Then they were scrambling about leaving the walk to Washington's office more pleasant. The two men who entered the room.

As Alex walks into the gloomy office, he can't help but feel a chill run down his spine. The dim lighting casts long shadows across the room, giving it an eerie atmosphere. The air feels heavy and stagnant, adding to the sense of unease. It's as if he's stepped into a scene from a suspenseful movie, where anything could happen.

"Please sit." The younger did as he was told, taking a seat on the low couch.

"Hamilton.. how many times must I tell you. If you are sick, do not come to work." Washington's aura switched drastically, he now took upon the role as a father figure to the orphan. Everyone knew Alexander's back story, why he is the way he is. And yet Washington cares for the young man, he pities him and his grimacing story.

"I'm sorry sir. There's just so much to be done." Alex mumbled as he begins to feel the drowsiness wash over him. His body was fighting a cold or a fever of some sort, the long hours he put in doesn't gift much sleep.

"Lay down, we're going to check your temperature." Doing as he's told, Washington pulled from a drawer a thermometer. He placed the medical tool between the sick boys lips, and sure enough the numbers read ninety-nine point eight. With a soft sigh the older left to the cabinet, revealing a pillow accompanied by a gentle blanket.

Handing the pillow, and draping over his sickly body. Washington simply bent to reach Alex's height on the couch.

"Hamilton." he started, placing a hand on his head.
"Please, get some rest. Your body can't fight this fever, if you don't get proper rest son. I better not see you around this building, do you understand?" Washington was amused at the younger, who was taken over by exhaustion and could barely comprehend words.

"Yes sir.." He croaked, his eyelids nearly coming to a close. George stood, collected his belongings, and exited making as little distractions as possible. In the process of shutting the door, a hushed whisper was heard from the dark room.

"Thanks dad."

Washington plastered a smile, his heart fluttered from the name. As he then closed the door completely. Honored Alexander would feel such comfort, addressing him as that name.

Hope you enjoyed, have a great rest of your day/night!

Your Author Mari 💞