Chapter 30- Worried

Start from the beginning

My eyes went wide as I ran along the bus I needed to use to get home. It was like my own personal race on who could get to the bus stop first.

I put my hand out hoping the bus would stop as it got to the bus stop before me. A smile grew on my face as it did. I pushed myself to go faster.

The doors opened revealing the bus driver, what a coincidence that it was the same one from the night I had first met Ryan.

The driver smirked at me. "Catch your breath kid. But I won."

I let out a small laugh. I guess the bus driver was having his own personal race too. I climbed up the steps handing him my money.

"This is one me since you lost." He gave me a wink. The smug smirk still on his lips.

I took back my money shoving it into my back pocket. I moved taking a seat down the back. I hoped everyone was asleep like they usually are.

****

I clutched my bag straps closer to my body as I approached my house. The downstairs lights looked to be still on. I pulled my key out of pocket, opening the front door.

There Dad sat on the couch by himself. He looked over his shoulder to me when he heard the door open. I sent him an innocent smile as I softly closed the door. I'm guessing everyone else is asleep.

I went to go make my way to the stairs.

"Kayla sit."

I stopped in my steps turning back around to face my dad. He just stared at me. Waiting for me to sit down on the couch.

"Dad I'm tired and I have got sch_"

"Sit. Down. Makayla." Okay so were using full names now.

"Okay Lancealot." I moved over to the couch sitting down. Hiding my hands in my pockets since there was still paint on them. Not to mention I probably smell and the bag on my back.

"Where were you?" Dad asked.

"I told you me and the girls went out to get doughnuts but then got distracted." I shrugged.

I looked to beside my Dad to see Lee's cigarettes and my room ladder. So this is why he stayed up. He had gone through my stuff. He didn't trust me but who can blame him. I never gave him any reason to trust me really.

He noticed my staring. "Since you have seen why I wanted to talk to you. Explain both of these. I'm trying my best here to hear what you have to say first."

I gulped. I had nothing to be nervous about but Dad was finally willing to hear what I had to say before jumping to conclusions. "The smokes aren't mine. They are Lee's, they got wet the night of the dinner party. I had thrown them under my bed because well really I have no explanation to why I just never threw them out. As for the rope ladder I think we both know what it is used for."

Dad looked physically relieved that those cigarettes were not mine. "I'm glad I heard you out Kayla. But as for the ladder I will be keeping it."

I nodded. Technically Dad would hide it out in the shed and I would find it. Take it again and he would never notice. "Is that it?" I asked.

Dad nodded. He stood up turning off the TV. I also stood up and started to make my way towards the stairs.

"Kayla?"

"Yeah?" I stood at the bottom step looking at Dad.

"What's in the bag?" He questioned.

I smirked. "Dad I think you went through enough of my things tonight. You need to trust me." Dads eyes told me a different story. He didn't trust me. He looked like he wanted to force me to tell him what was in my bag.